Restoring encrypted folders from

Started by sjf_control, October 03, 2015, 01:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjf_control

My primary mac has crashed. Fortunately I have a SuperDuper backup of the drive. I need to copy the encrypted folders/sparcebundles from the backup to my laptop until the iMac is repaired (or replaced).

I can see the sparcebundles in ~/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3.Data, and a bunch of database3... files in ~/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3.Backup

What is the best way to get these encrypted folders installed on the laptop and accessible. I have made a trial encrypted folder with the same password (from the iMac) if that is of any help.

Thanks for any help.

zsolt

Copy the entire  ~/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3 folder over to your iMac and create one empty folder, for example in your Documents folder, for each folder you protected with espionage.

Now launch Espionage, each folder will probably report that the mount point folder is missing.
Click onto the small "i" near the folder name, and on the folder options window, use the mount point drop down menu to point to one of the empty folders.

Once you set it for each folder, they should start to work.

Give it a try and let me know if all fine

Rgds

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

sjf_control

Worked like a champ!

One strange thing was occurring with one of my folders (although I worked around it). Seems when told to unlock the folder (toggle the switch UP), the folder would be unlock, but the switch would immediately return to the locked lower position -- even though the folder was still mounted. Toggling the switch up again would issue a "folder unlocked" notice, but then again return the switch to the lower position.  There was no way to actually get the folder to lock except to manually unmount it.

I fixed this by copying the contents to a new unencrypted folder, deleting the encrypted folder, then adding the new folder back in. Works fine now.

Thanks for the help.

zsolt

Well if you can reproduce the problem you saw then we can move on and troubleshoot it, if not, then we just leave it in the "grave of unexplained things happened on a computer" :-)

I'm glad it works for you now, if you have any further questions or problems, just let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support