Cannot lock as file being used by:

Started by thymara, October 16, 2015, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thymara

I am only able to lock a file by rebooting my computer. If I quit Espionage 3 and then restart it the file is unlocked.

screen shot attached

thymara

it gets even better. while attempting to lock the file espionage decided there was a problem, trashed my folder, created a sparsebundle and a password and there I was with no data. attempting to use the sparsebundle was a serious problem as when I attempted to unlock it Finder could not start. the created sparsebundle was basically useless.

the good news is I went thru this exercise not that long ago with Zsolt so I knew how to use my Time Machine backup. Unfortunately some data had not been captured, possibly due to the lock problem mentioned previously. I was lucky in that for a short time period while things were crashing I was able to move at least some of my data to a separate location outside of espionage.

not sure if any of this is due to El Capitan but I am becoming extremely nervous as to espionage reliability.

zsolt

Hello, we have already quite a lot of users on El Captain, and there was no report on any particular problem related to El Captain.
So I doubt this is due to upgrade.
The dialog you see pops up because Espionage gets informed by the OS that the sparse bundle cannot be unmounted which means the folder cannot be locked, because there is a file on the disk image which is still in use by the process:.......

The trouble is that sometimes we cannot figure out which process it is, this is why there is no text after the colon in the dialog box, normally there should be an application name.

There is no way around this limitation, it is identical to the situation when you want to eject an external hard disk or usb stick and you get a popup from OS X saying that the device cannot be ejected because it is in use...

So it could help if you would tell us what kind of file it is you keep in that protected folder, or which application you use to process those files. Normally closing all documents from the folder should be sufficient, sometimes you have to also quit the application, as it keeps some open handles on the file even if the document is closed, but sometimes not even that helps, you have to log out and log back in, or even reboot.

This usually indicates a poorly written application, although we had a similar problem with Apple Mail, so app being Apple's does not necessarily mean it is well written.

You can try to narrow down the problem by opening certain types of files only, from the protected folder, until you figure out which one is the problematic one.

If things start to act strangely, then do not mess around or panic, just stop and let me know, then I can try to help you before you delete something by accident...

Let me know if I can be of any help,

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

thymara

thanks zsolt, usually there are only 2 applications involved, possibly 3 if you include Finder. They are Numbers and Microsoft Excel Version 15.15. when I cannot eject I basically shut down all running apps, to no avail.

I also have a GDrive Mobile and it also has the same issue in that sometimes I'm unable to eject it, force quit is the only way.

Regardless, thanks for the info and help

thymara

After many trial and error attempts to discover what was causing errors and data loss I have concluded that the folder has a problem. I came to this conclusion because with the file unlocked in E3 a double click and select of Decrypt Folder causes a Restore failed message (attached).

Looking at some of the files in the folder there were a number that Finder decided were invisible. I have recreated all the data from a distinct, not in Espionage, source and the new folder appears to function properly in Espionage.

zsolt

Hello, thanks for your input, I will remember this for the next time. Usually in such cases what fails is the initial encryption, but it seems that this time the things got corrupted at some later stage.

In case you have further troubles or questions, just let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support