Access unlocked folder from Parallels

Started by Bernak, June 10, 2010, 08:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernak

Hello,
I tried to access an unlocked folder from within Parallels shared mac-home directory (it´s mounted like a network disk in Windows XP). When I reach the mac-symlink using windows explorer I get the a message that the folder could not be found, forcing me to copy the files outside the protected folder to be able to access them.

Any ideas?
Thanks

(MacBookPro, Snow Leopard, Parallels 5.0.9344)

jaylindell

After I made a shared folder a protected folder (with Espionage), I can find no way to access its contents from within Parallels. I added the folder name (which, in the finder is an alias to the unlocked folder) but it doesn't see it. And since the ID number changes each time we unlock a folder, well, you get it.

Thanks for your help.

greg

Quote from: "jaylindell"And since the ID number changes each time we unlock a folder, well, you get it.

The mount location for the folder no longer changes each time, we fixed this many many versions back.

Our test machine (which has Parallels installed on it), unfortunately has gone through some changes that rendered Windows unbootable. As soon as we fix that I'll get back to you.

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

greg

OK, test machine is back up and running!

We just tested this out and accessing your Espionage'd folders from within Parallels is pretty simple:

• Unlock your Espionage'd folder
  • Open Parallels and right-click on your Windows VM and select Configure
  • Select Shared Folders
  • Click the plus button and select your unlocked folder and it to the list

When you boot Windows it should appear under "Network Drives" when you open up My Computer.

Cheers,
Greg, Tao Effect

jaylindell

Thanks, Greg. That did it.

greg

Hey journeyerdb, unfortunately we don't have Windows 7 installed on our test machine (only WIndows XP), so we can't test this. There is no harm in trying this, and troubleshooting it yourself, so long as you have good backups of all of the folders involved. We recommend using Espionage's built-in backups solution, in addition to another backup solution (like Time Machine).

If all your data is backed up, you can feel free to try this out, as in the worst case you'll just have to restore from backups. If you get it working though I'm sure someone else here might be interested to know!  :)