File Vault applied after Espionage. Is a problem?

Started by Eu6En10, July 23, 2015, 04:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eu6En10

Hi everybody,
I have looked for similar topics but I didn't find the exact problem.. sorry for any unwanted repetition.

I'm using with satisfaction Espionage3 in trial mode, and I think I will buy the license at the end.

I am as well thinking about start using FileVault now. I have never used it before.

The question is: is it a problem to have already encoded some folders before encoding with File Vault?
If tonight I apply file vault, will it be possible for me to read the encrypted folders tomorrow, or it is better for me to decrypt them before?
The two layers of encryption have to be applied in some precise order (before FileVault and then Espionage) or is it all the same?

Thank's a lot!!!!

Eu6En10

zsolt

Honestly I never tested it, but I do not see a problem. FileVault will encrypt all the information on the hard drive. Regardless of ownership, user rights and file type. It might even be disk block based encryption, I'm not sure though. So what is the underlying data it is encrypting it irrelevant. If it happens to be a disk image, so be it.
Espionage uses encrypted sparse bundle disk images, a logical entity created by OS X, so if file vault would have problems with those, then it would mean that you are not allowed to create an encrypted disk image using Disk Utility if you are using file vault.

But let me try to test this for you tomorrow on a virtual machine and I will come back with results.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Eu6En10

Thank's a lot zsolt!
I look forward to know what your test results have been!

Eu6En10
ps.by the way.. i bought the license with the "life time" option, because Espionage is just what I was looking for.

zsolt

OK, so I booted a virtual 10.10.3 on VM Ware Fusion, had some folders protected, made sure they are locked (although due to later reboot this is probably not important), went to sysprefs-filevault, enabled encryption, Mac rebooted, encryption completed, I logged on new. Tried to unlock Espionage, unlock a protected folder, copy a file into it, open it, duplicate it, locked the folder, unlocked. Rebooted, unlocked, opened a file...all worked fine.

So I guess it is safe to say that it works fine. But backup is your fried, as always :-)

Thanks for your purchase, if you have further questions, or suggestions, let us know.

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support