Urgent: Help (is a BUG?) - Master Password and Set Password

Started by netofrombrazil, May 04, 2013, 02:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

netofrombrazil

I have a Master password: ABCD

I create a new folder set password called XYZ

I log on using XYZ
And I changed the password to ABCD (Espionage 3 allowed me to do it)

And now I cannot see any encrypt folders because I cannot access my master password anymore.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

netofrombrazil

I really cannot believe that Espionage 3 did allow me to do this. IMHO this is not good. At all.

Guys, how can we solve it? I mean how can we avoid it to happen again? I was lucky that I have a backup.

Could you please take a look serious on this?

zsolt

Hello Antonio, I just replied you in the support ticket.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

netofrombrazil

Hi Zsolt,

This is neto from Brazil

How are you?

Thank you. I already replied with the steps to reproduce the problem

Thank you

neto

netofrombrazil

Hi Zsolt,

This is neto from Brazil

How are you?

Thank you very much for your time today in our remote session. I am happy that you could see and understand the problem.

Looking forward to hearing from you with good news and THE PATCH

Thank you very much for your outstanding support.

neto

zsolt

Hello Neto, the bug is submitted, I will update you as soon as I hear from product manager and developers
There is one way to recover from this, by reverting to an older copy of the Espionage database.
Basically, you should go back to an older copy of the database, recover the data you encrypted, then move again to latest version of database and add the data back, or create a new folder set with a new password and add the restored folders there.
It is just a workaround not a solution at all, but worth considering to avoid data loss.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

netofrombrazil

Could you please send the exactly steps to reproduce the workaround?

Thank you

zsolt

Hello Neto,

Espionage 3 keeps it's database (as well as the encrypted disk images) in the folder Homefolder/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3 folder.
There is also a backup subfolder where Espionage automatically saves the database backups.
If you quit Espionage and replace the database3 file with one of the backup copies, and launch Espionage, you basically go "back in time".
So if anything goes wrong with the database you can revert to an earlier copy and see if that helps.
This applies to this case too, once you realise you cannot access the data from the other folder set because you set the password for both folder set to same value, you revert to a database before this change and then you will see the old data once you unlock Espionage, once you see it, you can restore the folders back to original state, then revert again to the latests copy and add the old folder to espionage again, or create a new folder set and then add the folders there.
It is not nice, but at least no data is lost.

Rgds
Zsolt

netofrombrazil

Zsolt,

This is neto from Brazil

How are you?

What is the frequency that Espionage will do auto backups?

Can we customize the schedule?

Thank you

neto

zsolt

Hello Neto,

Espionage will do a backup whenever you do some changes, after you quit it for the first time (which means also after you log out or reboot).
It is not customisable. Most of the users are not even aware that there is a backup, it is used only in conjunction with a support ticket and support assistance.
Rgds
Zsolt