MS Outlook 2011 App Template

Started by fauxpaux, November 13, 2010, 08:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaux

Will there be a MS Outlook 2011 application template coming soon?

greg

Quote from: "fauxpaux"Will there be a MS Outlook 2011 application template coming soon?

Yup, it should be there in the next update if we determine that Outlook can be safely encrypted by Espionage.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

fauxpaux

Excellent! Thanks

aicvisa

I'd like to follow up on whether there will be a template for this. I think many of us our finding that Outlook is a good fit in corporate environs.

Any update would be greatly appreciated.

greg

Quote from: "aicvisa"Any update would be greatly appreciated.

OK! The current situation appears to be broken down into the good-news/bad-news duality. Usually people ask for the bad news first so let's start with that:

Bad News: It's not going to be released as an application template in the next version.

Good News: We'll include in the blog post very basic instructions on how to encrypt Outlook.

The reason that we've decided to do it this way is because encrypting Outlook can (but does not necessarily have to) affect other Office programs. There are two possible folders to encrypt, one of them is inside the other. The "Microsoft User Data" folder is in the standard Documents folder, and you can encrypt this folder and associate it with Outlook. However, if you encrypt this folder, you'll need to associate it with *all* Office programs (Word, Excel, Messenger, etc.). And that can be a bit cumbersome. The alternative is to encrypt the "Office 2011 Identities" folder, which is inside of the Microsoft User Data folder, and it needs  to be associated with *most* Office programs (the "big 4", Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook).

Espionage is not designed to currently handle this level of complexity in its application associations, so this will need to be manually done by you (and by following the advice in the paragraph above, you can do it right now!).

aicvisa

Thanks Greg.

I will give the second suggestion a try. Though to be clear, would it not be simpler if once a session, one would manually just mount the Microsoft User Data? If one were to do this, would they not avoid the complexity, albeit with the additional manual burden imposed?

greg

Quote from: "aicvisa"Though to be clear, would it not be simpler if once a session, one would manually just mount the Microsoft User Data? If one were to do this, would they not avoid the complexity, albeit with the additional manual burden imposed?

Something along those lines can be accomplished by auto unlocking the folder when you login. We just posted an update and in the blog notes we have instructions for encrypting Outlook.

marty

Quote from: "zlatan24"
Quote from: "fauxpaux"Will there be a MS Outlook 2011 application template coming soon?

Luckily it seems I know the probably solution for this problem. And I understood this fact when one tool had rescued me couple weeks ago. It is the following program - how to restore notes from outlook 2003 .pst.

Was there a particular problem with the blog post instructions that caused a need to use or recommend this tool? The link you included was for a non-Mac application, so it would be nice to know what trouble, if any, you observed on your Mac system while using Espionage.

--
Best regards,
Marty
Tao Effect Support

For news, follow @esponageapp!
http://twitter.com/espionageapp
Tao Effect Support

follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!