file couldn't be opened because there is no such file

Started by coelix, February 13, 2015, 05:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coelix

The trial version of Espionage worked fine but the minute I paid for the licence ...

I removed my previous folders from the folder list as I was reorganising folders.

The folders I had previously encrypted I now moved to a new folder called Main Data and encrypted that. Result - all the folders I'd put in Main Data showed no files and the folder Main Data disappeared from the Espionage folder list. Fortunately I restored from backup.

Now when I try dragging folders into the Espionage list it gets partway through copying then I get this message
Error during copy: The file Main Data couldn't be opened because there is no such file

I've tried this for other folders and the same result

Incidentally one folder I left in the Espionage folder list still decrypts fine.

zsolt

Hello, I think the best way would be to make a remote session and then I will try to figure out what is going wrong.
Let me know your availability.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Joem952

I have a similar problem, unencrypted some directories, and moved them, and when trying to encrypt the new files, I get the message;  file couldn't be opened because there is no such file.  Is their a solution?

zsolt

Hello, if you unencrypted some folders then should not be related to Espionage in any way, they are just ordinary folders like any other.
The fact that you cannot encrypt new folders should not be related to the above.

Can you please create a new test folder inside your Documents folder and add a few test files into it, make sure no file is named with the same name as the folder, also make no subfolders, I want it as simple as possible.

Try to encrypt this, and let me know how it went

We start from there and see how it goes.

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Joem952

Hi Zsolt, I created a test folder with several files in it, and that worked.  The ones I am having issues with are now on external drive.  I was able to encrypt one folder on the drive, but get the error message when encrypting additional folders.

Joe

zsolt

Hello Joe, external drive has one more thing to consider, first, it cannot be NTFS formated, but considering you already protected one folder, I guess this is not the issue.

ANother thing is that you will be asked where to save the disk image, usually it is a folder on the very same hard disk you save disk images into, but NOT in the folder you are protecting or any subfolder of it.

Usually the problem is in the folder or file permissions or corrupted folder(s).
I suggest you create a new folder, move all the files from the original folder into this new one and then encrypt this new folder.

Again, make sure no file or subfolder are named same as the partent folder i.e. the one you are protecting, we had issues with that.

If you cannot make it work, I'm available for a remote session from now up to one hour.

rgds
Zsolt