A couple of suggestions for Espionage

Started by SteveW, February 01, 2015, 08:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveW

I suggest some kind of indicator in the Menu Bar icon which indicates that one or more folders are open. Perhaps make the icon a different colour, e.g. red.  I try to close folders as soon as I finish with them but sometimes forget. I know that I can close them automatically but a positive reinforcement of their current state would be useful.

I would also prefer an option to auto close folders when Espionage is locked.

Thanks for a product which eases some of my internet concerns.

Steve.

zsolt

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion, we will put them on requested feature list, however, here are some comments, which will put your suggestions into perspective:

Regarding icon color, that is clear, nothing to add here.
However, locking folders when espionage is locked: we cannot lock a folder as long as there is an open document in it, this is an operating system restriction and is there for purpose, to avoid losing unsaved data.

Second, the folder auto lock timer, counts only when your Mac is idle, so as long as you are working, the timer will keep resetting. So say, you set the auto lock to 1 minutes, as soon as you leave your Mac idle for 1 minutes (and you have no open documents in the folder), the folder will auto lock.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Nayn

Hi there,

Steve asked for something that wondered me, too: I always thought that auto-locking espionage.app and auto-locking of folders behaves the same way.

Now I read that one (the folders) reacts to the Mac's idleness, the other one obviously not. Coupling this setting would be great. (And afaik there is an indicator-message telling me that a document is open...)

M.

zsolt

Yes, at first it does not make sense, why different behaviour when they are both timeouts, but...

As mentioned, we cannot lock the folder as long as there is an open document in that folder because application is locking the document and the operating system is not allowed to eject the volume on which the "busy" document resides.

So we took our best guess saying that when Mac becomes completely idle, there is a better chance that you finished your work on the document and that it might be closed. Of course there is no guarantee it will be closed, but the chances are higher.

On the other hand, once you unlocked the folders you need and maybe locked those you do not need any more, you will not need the Espionage window for a while, so it makes sense to lock it, just in case somebody manages to gain control of your mac, so that he cannot unlock further protected folders.

In both cases you will probably want the timeouts to be set to relatively short time, because espionage takes care of the rest, in case of Espionage application it will lock the app after this, relatively short time, and in case of folders, it will lock the folder after, again, relatively short time after you stop using your Mac.

You of course might disagree, but I just wanted to describe the idea behind the design.

I hope this helps.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support