Decrypted Folders can't get them back????????

Started by Lowadeck420, September 29, 2012, 05:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowadeck420

How do I decrypt my folders back, I did an Mac OS install and now my folder say this folder have encrypted information, and they are not in the locked list and I cant get them decrypted back????? any help is really appreciated

zsolt

Hello, if the folder contains 3 folders named
This folder contains encrypted data
It is controlled by Espionage
Do not modify it in this state
Then this folder was protected by Espionage 2 not 3.
If you are using Espionage 2 and not 3 as indicated in the post thread, then you can import this folder back to Espionage 2 by simply dragging it over the Espionage main window and entering the folder password.
If you want to use Espionage 3 then you first have to import it into Espionage 2, decrypt it, what will bring the folder back to normal state, and then add it to Espionage3.

Please clarify the versions and let me know if you managed to do it.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Lowadeck420

at the time when I did the install of the new mac os lion i had espionage 2, they told me to to un install and then reinstall and i think the version now is 3 how do i get the old version back in order to get it corrected, the folder does say everything you wrote, also would you have the link to the older version so i can install it to get it back, thank you for all your help glad their is a chance of getting my stuff back

Lowadeck420

alos when I try to reinstall espionage 2 it says "Could not establish communication with EspionageHelper."

zsolt

OK, so the version 2 you can get from http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espionage.dmg
The version 3 from http://www.espionageapp.com/Espionage.dmg
The frist trouble is that they are named the same, so check which one do you have now in your Applications folder, and rename it appropriately, for example if it is version 2 then name it Espionage2 if it is 3 then Espionage3.

Delete the following file: Volumes/yourbootharddiskname/Users/yourusernmae/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist (your user home folder path probably changed when you migrated to new Mac).
Reboot.
Quit Espionage 3 if it started automatically.
Launch Espionage2, drag the folders into it, once added, decrypt them. Once you are sure that all the data is back to normal:
- verify which version of Espionage3 you have (by selecting the application and -> get info=, if it is version 3.0.2 then go ahead and select from Espionage2, Espionage menu, the uninstall option. This will remove Espionage2 properly from your Mac.
- if you have version 3.0 then let me know, do not user uninstall option from Espionage 2.

once got the data back and got the Espionage 2 uninstalled, add the folders to Espionage 3 and you are done.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Lowadeck420

thanks for all the help I was able to get a program called Ivisible to show me the invisible disk image that backs up the encrypted files, once you click on that image it ask you the original password used to encrypt the files, once you enter it, it opens everything up, you copy and move the file to a new folder, delete the old encrypted files and eject that image drive and boooomm worked like a charm, I appreciate all your help

zsolt

:-), yes, that is an option too, but this does not bring Espionage 2 in working state. It is a kind of shortcut, but it works 100%.
Note however that in espionage 3 the folder passwords are generated by Espionage so you do not know them, unless you copy them out and store in a safe place. You can do that by clicking on the "i" near the folder name and then on copy password button. Just a hint if you ever get stuck.

I'm glad you are fine now.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Rgds
zsolt