taking a folder off my encrypted list

Started by aj_cairo, October 22, 2013, 10:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj_cairo

Hi!

This question may sound silly.. However, I'm wondering that if I take off any folder of the encrypted list in my Espionage 2, would that delete the original folder? or cause a duplicate?  :-X

zsolt

Hello, there are no silly questions, better ask then wander when it goes wrong...

You remove a folder from Espionage by clicking onto it in Espionage main window and then clicking onto minus sign in lower left corner of the Espionage window. This will decrypt the folder into it's normal state, and remove it from Espionage. So after decryption you will be accessing the folder using Finder as in the times before you added it to Espionage.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

aj_cairo

so I did as you said.. and here is what happened..

the first encrypted one was Mail.. i clicked the "-" sign .. and it went off ok..

the 2nd one was a normal folder called "Work".. after a relatively long time to "restore it".. boom! I got a message that i'm out of space! and then some Espionage help page showed up asking me to download "iVisible"..and a file named ""Work.sparsebundle" showed up next to the original one! and suddenly my extra 100 free gigs space on my hard disk is gone! when i click on "Work.sparsebundle", it asks to type in the password, and then it has the same files of my "Work" folder plus several other hidden ones.. What shall I do now?!!!!

Finally, i have encrypted iPhoto as well! Would I have the same issues again?!!!!!

aj_cairo

someone-please- replies me!!! I need the extra space of my hard disk for my work.. and I haven't got any replies for almost 2 days..!!!

greg

Quote from: aj_cairo on October 22, 2013, 09:02:54 PMthe 2nd one was a normal folder called "Work".. after a relatively long time to "restore it".. boom! I got a message that i'm out of space! and then some Espionage help page showed up asking me to download "iVisible"..and a file named ""Work.sparsebundle" showed up next to the original one! and suddenly my extra 100 free gigs space on my hard disk is gone! when i click on "Work.sparsebundle", it asks to type in the password, and then it has the same files of my "Work" folder plus several other hidden ones.. What shall I do now?!!!!

There's no major problem here, Espionage behaved correctly when your hard drive ran out of space, and it sounds like your files are safe.

Normally, before decrypting a folder, Espionage should warn you if you don't have enough space to do so, but sometimes it does not estimate the remaining hard disk space correctly and goes ahead anyway. Or, it warned you, and you decrypted anyway. Either way, while restoring the folder, your computer ran out of room for the decrypted files, so Espionage failed to restore all of them (it probably restored most, however).

Now, where you had the encrypted folder, is a partially restored "Work" folder. It probably doesn't have all of the files that were in the encrypted folder.

After Espionage failed to completely restore the folder, it gave you the encrypted disk image: "Work.sparsebundle". It also brought up the help documentation on what to do next. Simply read that document and follow the advice there to manually copy your files out of the mounted disk image to some place on your computer. You will need to make sure you have room on your hard drive to do this. I recommend moving the partially-restored "Work" folder onto an external drive and then deleting it from your Mac to clear up some room. Once you've verified that you've copied all of your files out of the invisible volume called "Work" (as described in the help) you can delete it from the external drive.

If you're confused about anything in the help, just ask us! :)

QuoteFinally, i have encrypted iPhoto as well!

When you encrypt a folder, Espionage duplicates its contents (encrypted), so how did you encrypt iPhoto if you had no hard drive space? Did you delete some files before encrypting it?

QuoteWould I have the same issues again?!!!!!

If you try to decrypt/restore a folder and you don't have enough hard drive space to do so, then yes, you will have the same problem. Just make sure that you have at least as much space on your drive as the size of the folder before removing it from Espionage.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!