Cannot recover from TimeMachine

Started by thymara, September 28, 2015, 06:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thymara

No idea how this happened but I have lost all my data,

* I have a Time Machine backup,
* I recover myhomefolder/Library/Application Support/com.teaoeffect.Espionage3/Data folder
* when I attempt to unlock the file I get a message that says DiskImage missing
* it actually is missing and is nowhere to be found on TimeMachine

I believe I know which sparse bundle has my data but when I attempt to use is there is a password request and I seem to have no clue what it is. I know my master password but that is not accepted.

Any clues as to what to do would be appreciated

zsolt

By default all the disk images are indeed in the folder you mention. So unless you intentionally move the disk image, or protect a folder which is not on your boot disk, in which case Espionage will ask you where to save the disk image, all should he there.

Regarding the password, the disk image password is not the Master password. Each disk image has it's own password and is generated randomly by espionage. You can fetch it by unlocking Espionage, clicking onto small "i" near the folder name and then clicking onto "copy password" button, this will put the disk image password into your clipboard and you can paste it anywhere you want.

However, if you double-click the sparse bundle disk image, you cannot paste into the password dialog which pops up, Apple does not allow this, nobody knows why.

So you could type it in, but there is a good chance you will mistype it, because it is long and complicated.

But, if the folder still shows up in Espionage then in the very same window, which you can get to by clicking onto small "i" near the folder name, you will have a disk image drop down menu, if you click on it, Espionage will show you the name and path of the disk image it expects to be present for this folder. If you do have that disk image, you can use the same drop down menu to point Espionage to it, and once the path is set correctly you should be able to unlock the folder.

Let me know how it went,

If you have problems to follow my instructions, let me know and we can make a remote session, so that I dan try to do what I suggest.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

thymara

zsolt, thanks for the detailed reply, your instructions are easily followed.

Unfortunately, clicking on small i shows a sparsebundle which I have but my data is not in that one. The data is in a different bundle and even though the dropdown is titled "change disk image location" when I point to the sparsebundle where my data actually is I get the enter password prompt.

I think a remote session is required unless you can tell me where I went wrong while attempting to tell espionage about the bundle I want to access

zsolt

Can we do it in about 6.5 hours from now?
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

thymara

not a problem, that will be about 2 PM my time, I will be available. I'm north america mountain time

zsolt

ok, pls mail me at taoeffect@macmesupport.com as soon as you are available and I will send you the instructions.

Rgds
Zsolt

thymara

after several days of panic and fiddling on my part Zsolt was able to recover my data as well as provide me with valuable education about the purposes of database3.

thank you Zsolt for superior customer service

;D

zsolt

Just another note, my heroic data recovery was possible only due to the fact that the user had a valid Time Machine backup, so please remember to do backups. We all love happy ends, don't we :-)