Can't unlock folder after upgrading to Yosemite

Started by powerk21, February 23, 2015, 04:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerk21

Hello, firstly I'd like to say I'm not very good at computers and english is not my native language so I apologize in advance for my mistakes.

I tried Espionage on OSX 10.6 and it seemed to work fine so I locked a folder with some important data. Then I upgraded the system to Yosemite forgetting I had that folder encrypted so when I tried to unlock it Espionage wouldn't work and crashed. I downloaded the newer version Espionage 3 thinking it was a compatibility problem with the newer OS and installed it overwriting the older one (I know this is a big mistake but I did it) just like I did with other apps like iPhoto or Final Cut.

Moreover since I upgraded to Espionage 3, Finder started doing some weird things like showing a folder like empty when it is not (although if you wait some time the files finally show), if I mount an image the app won't show after you wait some time so basically Finder is taking time to show files in some folders while it doesn't in others (Don't know if I'm making any sense here).

To sum up I now have a slow finder and an unreachable folder with important data that I'm afraid to lose because the new Espionage 3 can't unlock the encrypted folder and the older one didn't either after upgrading to Yosemite

PS: I have a folder called EspionageBackups that seems to contain the encrypter folder with 3 subfolders called "This folder contains encrypted data" "It is controlled by Espionage" "Do not modify in this state"

zsolt

The problems you are experiencing are the result of incompatibility between Espionage 2 and Maverick or later version of OS X. We informed all the users on our mailing list, more then a year ago, maybe even two already.

Anyway, what you should do is recover your data, and manually uninstall Espionage 2. Espionage 3 will work fine, and will not be affected by this.

Considering you say you have a Espionage backup folder then the next steps you can perform either on the backup folder or on the original folder.

Here is what to do:

- download the following software http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24682/ivisible 
- launch it, and click on "make files visible" button (in case OS X does not allow to launch ivisible, you have to go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, click on padlock icon in lower left corner and authenticate, then under General Tab, under "Allow apps downloaded from" select anywhere, wait for confirmation window, and then try to launch iVisible again)
- now revisit the protected folder and you will see a disk image inside, named same as the folder name, but having a dot in front of the name
- dobleclick it, it should ask you for password, enter it, and the image will mount as a volume, like for example an USB stick would mount
- open it and you will access to all your files
- copy them out, unmount the volume and delete the protected folder containing the disk image you just opened

once you have all your data back, you should uninstall Espionage 2. You can try either by selecting Uninstall option from Espionage's Espionage menu, or if that does not work, then you can manually remove all the files, here is a list:
Note that some files are in your home Library folder and some in your root Library folder. Your home Library folder is hidden since Lion, to enter into it from Finder, switch to Finder, hold down the option key and select Library from the list of "places to go".:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage
/Users/[your username]/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist
/Users/[your username]/Library/Services/EspionageMenu.service (might not exist)
/System/Library/Extensions/iSpy.kext
/Library/iSpy
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.ispyd.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist (might not exist)
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.taoeffect.Espionage (might not exist)

once you removed the files/folder, please reboot your Mac

I know it seems like a lot of work, but just do it step by step and you should be fine.
If you get stuck, I can help you out through a remote session.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

powerk21

I followed all instructions step by step and... it worked!

I can't thank you enough for your support and detailed answer fixing the problem. I can't recall an email with instructions but I'm pretty sure I ignored it since I didn't have any plans to upgrade my SO two years ago so I know it is my fault that I messed up overwriting the older espionage.

More reason to be grateful and glad to see that I can get a good technical support on a product I bought long time ago.

Won't hesitate buying products from your company in the future!

zsolt

I'm glad you were able to follow the instructions and even more glad that you got your data back.
Remember to do regular backups, it is a pain as long as you do not need it, but once you need it, all the pain is suddenly gone :-)

In case of any further questions, just let me know.

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support