How does Espionage 3 work?!?

Started by olivierdb, July 07, 2013, 11:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olivierdb

I'm trying to understand how Espionage 3 works! Does it password protect a folder by encrypting it?

When I drag a folder from my external disk to the Espionage menu bar icon, instead of encrypting the folder (as shown in the video tour) it asks me to "choose image location"?! The image location of what?!?

How do you expect users to understand how your app works without any clear instructions or manual?

zsolt

Some people tend to read manuals, some not, some say they like it short, some like it detailed. The manual can always be better and is never perfect. So instead of investing time into manual, we are happy to answer particular questions in the forum or support tickets. I hope this will end up a viable substitute to a good manual.

By default Espionage works like this:
- you pick a folder to protect
- unlock espionage and drag the folder over main window
- it will create an encrypted disk image for you, and place the content of the folder you choose to protect into this disk image, and move the original folder content into trash.
- the disk image(s) are stored in a folder inside your home-Library folder
- when you want to access the folder content, you unlock it, which in turn means that Espionage will mount the encrypted disk image using the folder you protected as mount point -> this in turn means that you can simply be able to access the folder content just as you did before, the only difference is that you have to unlock the folder first
- if the folder is locked, the disk image will not be mounted, meaning you will see just the mountpoint folder as an empty folder
- now here is a short bit of confusing fact: if you put some data in the folder when it is locked, nobody will complain, the data will sit there just as it would in an ordinary folder. However if you unlock the folder, the files will be "covered" by the content of mounted disk image. Once you lock the folder, the files will come back. If you understand how it works, then this makes sense, but at first, it might look surprising
- finally, there is one exception, the one you mentioned in your post: if you choose a folder on an external disk to protect, then we are assuming you do not want to place the disk image onto your startup disk, and, considering we do not know the folder structure of your external disk, we will ask you to specify where to save the disk image.

There are some more details, but I hope this makes a good start, if you have further questions, just let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

greg

olivierdb: Espionage stores the encrypted data in an encrypted disk image (that's just what it's called).

On your main hard drive, it won't ask you where to put it (they're all stored in its application support folder).

On an external drive, it has no idea where the right place to store it is. Just pick some location that you'll remember but is out of the way and unlikely to be seen by other people.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!