Locating Espionage Files/Folders

Started by tw70, November 01, 2013, 04:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tw70

Hi,

Appreciate that this might seem like a silly question, but having not accessed my Espionage protected folder(s) for some time, I've recently moved to a new Mac running Mavericks.  I migrated using the Migration Assistant, but I'm not clear if this will have moved my Espionage folders or not.  Also I was running 2.x on the previous Mac and have now moved to 3.x.

I'd like to retrieve my protected folders and get everything up and running again.  I still have access to the previous Macbook in case this won't have transferred with Migration Assistant.

Question is - how can I find the folder?  I've tried using the utility to make hidden files visible, and I've looked everywhere I can think it might have been, yet can't find it.  Is there a way to retrieve the name/location from the previous Macbook?

Thanks,

T

zsolt

Hello, considering you have the old Mac, I think the simplest way would be to get the data there as it is running PreMaverick OS where Espionage 2 works fine.
So, go to your old Mac, launch Espionage 2, unlock it and you will get a list of folders which are protected, you will see the path in which they are in.
Unlock them by unchecking the "locked" checbox and click on save changes, now you can access the content through finder. Copy all the content out onto some USB stick or external drive.
Once done, you can uninstall Espionage using uninstall menu inside Espionage, or just leave all as it is.

Now when you have your data, copy it onto new mac, there launch Espionage 3 and add the folders to it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you get stuck.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

tw70

Hi

Thanks, but I'm afraid the old machine is also running Mavericks and has been for some time. Any further ideas?

zsolt

In that case:
- if you are lucky, the uninstall will run smooth, you can try on any of these two machines: reboot, start espionage 2, unlock it, select uninstall from Espionage's Espionage menu, leave the decrypt all folders and uninstall iSpy options marked and click continue.
Once you have your data back, just install V3 add the data to it and all is fine.
- if the uninstall option is grayed out, then you will need to manually uninstall espionage:
Here is the list of the files/folders you have to remove to uninstall Espionage.
Note that some files are in your home Library folder and some in your root Library folder. Your home Library folder is hidden since Lion, to enter into it from Finder, switch to Finder, hold down the option key and select Library from the list of "places to go".:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage
/Users/[your username]/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist
/Users/[your username]/Library/Services/EspionageMenu.service (might not exist)
/System/Library/Extensions/iSpy.kext
/Library/iSpy
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.ispyd.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist (might not exist)
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.taoeffect.Espionage (might not exist)

once you removed the files/folder, please reboot your Mac

now that you uninstalled Espionge 2, you have to get your data:
Please do the following:
- download the following software http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24682/ivisible 
- launch it, and click on "make files visible" button (in case OS X does not allow to launch ivisible, you have to go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, click on padlock icon in lower left corner and authenticate, then under General Tab, under "Allow apps downloaded from" select anywhere, wait for confirmation window, and then try to launch iVisible again)
- now revisit the protected folder and you will see a disk image inside, named same as the folder name, but having a dot in front of the name
- dobleclick it, it should ask you for password, enter it, and the image will mount as a volume, like for example an USB stick would mount
- open it and you will access to all your files
- copy them out, unmount the volume and delete the protected folder containing the disk image you just opened

Let me know if you get stuck.

rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

tw70

Hi,

Again thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately none of that is the issue.  The issue is that I can't locate 'the protected folder'.  I've no idea where it is on disk.  Is this information somewhere stored in Espionage 2 or a config file?

Thanks,

Tom

zsolt

Hello, as I said in one or my earlier posts,

"launch Espionage 2, unlock it and you will get a list of folders which are protected, you will see the path in which they are in."
If you can get to the point that Espionage 2 opens it's main window, then you will get to the folder list, and on a right hand side, there will be the path filed showing the path to the protected folder.

Or, you will see the folder name and you can search for it in spotlight.

Now, if you manage to decrypt it, then the folder will be restored to normal, if you cannot restore the folder, then delete the files I listed before to uninstall Espionage and then you can run a find command from the terminal which will find the files for you, here is how to do it:

open terminal, write, command (note, after each command, hit enter to execute it)

cd

now write

find . -name *.sparsebundle -print

this will search your home folder and list all sparse bundle disk images in which Espionage is keeping the data.

Once you have the path, you can run the second procedure to open the disk image and get the files out...

Let me know if you managed to do it.

Rgds
Zsolt