E3 Mounting a Network Drive Sparesebundle on two Mac´s

Started by algospe, January 22, 2013, 03:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

algospe

Having E3 installed on two (or more) different Mac´s, is it possible to use E3 to mount a Network Drive afp sparesebundle at the same time on these two machines so they can be shared? ( sparesebundle created with E3)

It is possible to do so when sparesebundle is mounted as root ( please refer to below link), I´ve tried tried myself and worked ok, however could it possible to do it with E3 then no need of root and mount point could be defined with E3?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/1 ... D=11053053

Kindly please advise.

Alberto.

zsolt

Hello Alberto, the procedure would be similar to what I wrote for Dropbox shared disk image, I will paste it below.
Note however that I strongly advise that you do not mount the disk image, i.e. unlock the folder on two macs at once as this might lead to corruption.
Keep it unlocked on one Mac at the time and you should be fine.

Here are the instructions, let me know if you have further questions.

Rgds
Zsolt

####
A protected folder in Espionage 3 consists from the disk image and the mount point folder. The disk image is the one containing the data, and the mount point folder is the folder in which the disk image will mount when you unlock the folder.

I will try to describe it step by step:
- pick a local folder for protection
- add it to Espionage
- wait until it is done with encryption
- (if you have more then one protected folder) once done, click near the folder name onto small i, and check the disk image name under "Disk image" drop down menu, record it somewhere
- then click on copy password, and paste the disk image password in some text file
- lock the folder and quit espionage
- go to Library/com.taoeffect.espionage3/Data folder, move the disk image into some folder in Dropbox
- launch Espionage, again click on small i near the folder name, you will see that it will complain that the disk image is missing, click on the Disk image drop down menu - "Choose", and select the disk image in your dropbox, this should make him happy. Try to unlock, change, lock, just do not rush to fast, allow Dropbox to sync as you do things... if all OK, lock the folder and we are done with this Mac

- now on the other Mac
- create a local folder which will be used as mount point
- launch Espionage and drag the disk image over it, it will ask you for disk image password and will give you a "choose mount point" menu,
- enter the recorded password, and select the folder you created to be used as mount point
- if all fine the folder will be added to Espionage
- now try to unlock it, update it, lock it.
- again make sure the sync from Dropbox is done

- now move to the first mac, unlock the folder and see if the content has the update you did on second mac...
####
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support