Unlocked Esp. folders appear as open disk images

Started by geoff.t, January 03, 2013, 01:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff.t

Hi

I've just upgraded from Esp. 2 where of course the unlocked Esp. folders appeared as Folder aliases.

But in Esp. 3 unlocked folders appear as open disk images.

Can I restore the behaviour of Esp. 2?

zsolt

Hello, no you cannot. It used different mechanism and this is how it works. The Esp2 folder which were aliases in fact were again pointing to a disk image so I see no big difference. Can you explain why is this important to you?

Thanks and rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

geoff.t

Hi Zsolt

Thanks for your comment.

I liked the folder aliases because it seemed these made the "plausible deniability" more convincing.

Regards, Geoff

zsolt

Thanks for your comment too, but I do not see your point, so if you could add a few more words to it, would be great.
Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

geoff.t

Hi Zsolt

To develop this idea a little...

When I saw the v.2 folder aliases, I thought: "Well, this tells me that the contents of these folders live somewhere else on this hard drive, but since the contents become visible to me when I double-click on the aliases, and backup normally to external drives, everything must be normal."

But when (in v.3) I saw the open disk images, my thought was: "This looks as though something is being hidden, as I do not see any disk image files."

The difference between the above two responses lies in this: How plausible it is to say that something is being *hidden* from the user?

Frankly, I've been with MacOS since v.7.1 and become so accustomed to folders (and folder aliases) that the v.2 approach felt so familiar to me that I thought it was ingenious!

Cheers

Geoff

zsolt

Hello Geoff, thanks for the clarification, I will create a record in our feature request list for future development, then it depends on the product manager if he implements it or not, but in any case, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Rgds
Zsolt