I need to be able to encrypt and decrypt files on 2 computers

Started by Storis, September 23, 2014, 09:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storis

I have a few questions about Espionage

I need to encrypt files on a Mac, save them on a flash drive, then decrypt them on a different Mac.  Will Espionage do this?

Do I need to purchase a copy of Espionage for each computer or does one license allow use on multiple computers?

I am running OSX version 10.9.4 (the latest version) on my Mac.  The other mac is running an older version of OSX and can't be updated without updating other very expensive software on it.  Will I be able to do what I want to do with Espionage using 2 different versions of OSX?

zsolt

Hello,

QuoteI need to encrypt files on a Mac, save them on a flash drive, then decrypt them on a different Mac.  Will Espionage do this?

It is possible, but it depends if this is something you want to do one time only, or on regular basis. I will assume the latter.

You setup Espionage on first Mac and add the folder you want to move around to Espionage.
Once the encryption is done, insert your Flash Drive, and in Espionage click onto small "i" near the Folder's name. On the folder info window, locate the disk image drop down menu, and select "change disk image location". Select your Flash Drive and Espionage will move the disk image containing the data belonging to the protected folder into the selected destination. On the same screen, click onto copy password button, and paste the copied password in some text file and save it to the flash drive too.

Now, on the second mac, setup Espionage
And on in the Finder, create one empty folder through which you will be accessing the protected data
Unlock Espionage, and drag the disk image from your Flash drive onto Espionage window.
Espionage will ask you for password, enter the one you copied into the text file.
Espionage will then ask you for mount point folder, select the empty folder you created.
After this, you should be able to unlock the folder and access the data.
Once all is fine, delete the text file with disk image password, as it is a bad idea having it in the same place where the disk image is.

Your license is valid for all the Macs you own, so if you have one mac at home and one at work and you own both of them, then one license is sufficient.

Espionage V3 is compatible with Lion and onwards (Yosemite not yet), so if your other Mac has OS not older then 10.7 then you are fine, it will not work with Snow Leopard.

If you want to make it work with Snow Leopard, there is a way, but it is different and less convenient, if this is what you need, let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support