Moved to new machine

Started by niknak2000, March 29, 2013, 10:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niknak2000

Hi I have moved my old drive to a new machine and need access to the encrypted folder on this new machine. Everytime I try and mount I get an error is it possible to move the prefs file from the old machine onto the new machine? Otherwise im stuck with a folder I can't get into?

zsolt

Hello, I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is.
You moved to a new machine, and now want to transfer the protected folders onto it, correct?
So which part does fail?
Which folders did you move so far, and which one fail?
Please provide me with step by step details and then I will be able to help you.
Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

niknak2000

Correct yes I have moved to a new machine with my old drives moved over as well. Every time I enter the sparse bundle it says password unrecognised. Is it as simple as bring my old prefs over from the old machine if so how do I go about this? Please get this working. The more time I spend with this application the more I am beginning to despise it.

zsolt

Hello,

If you spend time with an application which is not working then it is surely not a nice experience. But why did it take a month to reply to my questions? The more time you wait, the more annoying will it be.
If you want to cut the long story short, we can agree on a remote session and I can fix it for you all in one run, hopefully.
If you want to do it yourself then I will need some more details:
- now when you open Espionage, do you see your folders listed?
- when you click on one of the protected folder in Finder, do you get a password prompt?
- do you get a message that the Espionage Helper is not running?
- are the protected folders in exactly the same path as they were on the old Mac?

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

niknak2000

Folders are in the same place nothing has changed except the software has been move to a new machine.
Basically it saying the password is invalid every time, it is very frustrating not being able to unlock the sparse image bundle. I do hope it has not corrupted and my data is still safe. Please help!

niknak2000

DO get a password prompt yes
No message about espionage helper not running.

zsolt

Hello, If you get a password prompt when you click on the folder, then it is Espionage 2 not Espionage 3. This is important to know for further troubleshooting.
If you do not get a message that the helper is not running this means that Espionage is in good order, this is further reinforced with the fact that you get a password prompt when you click on the protected folder, this means Espionage is active and is monitoring the clicks onto folder.

The password you have to enter is the one you set when you added the folder to Espionage. This password if independent of any other system or Espionage password. You could have set it to the account password or Espionage master password, the one you use to open Espionage, but it was not necessary.

If you cannot remember this password, then you can still unlock the folder through Espionage application, launch it, unlock it and then select the folder in the Espionage folder list and uncheck the "Locked" checkmark and click save changes in lower left corner, this will unlock it.

BTW, whereas migration to another machine can make Espionage stop working, it surely does not change passwords.

Let me know how it went.

niknak2000

Still asking for a password which I haven't changed. When I drag the sparse bundle onto the app there is only the option to enter a password. Do you mean the anchor in the lower left have tried this as well. There is no unlock option. Which is kind of the point no?

niknak2000

I still know my master password and this still works to unlock the application. But I cannot access the encrypted sparse bundle and see no unlock option just the option to enter a password. Can you post a screenshots of what you mean.

zsolt

Hello, first of all, apologies for not replying earlier, we have some problems with forums, moved to new one and the new one seems not to notifying me on new posts, so I overlooked your reply.

After reading what you wrote, it is still not clear which version are we talking about, once you mention a password prompt when you click on folder, this is Espionage 2 and then you mention the anchor icon, this is Espionage 3.

So as suggested last time, please let's agree on a remote session and then I fix it all for you in one run.

I will be available today and tomorrow most of the day.

Rgds
Zsolt