password protection for folders without encryption

Started by JoeB, September 07, 2012, 01:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeB

Greg,
Based on your advice, I was able to manage the sparsebundle files just fine and place them in their own "images" folder on my extra internal disk drive. While I have some files that are sensitive enough that I want encryption, I also have LOTS of files that are not sensitive but I don't want other users (students) messing with them. I don't really need such strong encryption -- its just overkill. All I really want is password protection so they aren't going to go into my folders by mistake. I read somewhere that Espionage can do that for less critical files but I can't find the steps to take in the help folder or in the on-line guide. It isn't obvious from the menu options either. Please advise.

Thanks!

zsolt

Hello Joe, the password only protection was removed from the Espionage V3 due to belief that it provides a false feeling of being protected, whereas it was possible to overcome this protection quite easily.
If you need password protection only you have to use Espionage version 2, either alongside version 3, or by migrating your protected data to version 2 and removing version 3.
If you would not mind losing some functionalities version 3 provides, and you would like to switch to version 2 alltogether, then let me know and we might be able to refund you the price difference between version 3 and 2 and provide you with license for version 2.

Let me know.
Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

JoeB

Thanks for the heads up that password protection only is a feature only of Espionage V2. Since the cost of the progarm is only $10, I think I will install it alongside V3 and see how I like it. I suspect I will use V2 for light folder password protection and V3 for more heavy-duty encryption. If that proves too cumbersome, at least I will have a direct comparison to decide which version to go with in the long haul.

JoeB

zsolt

Hello Joe, yes, this is an option. There is only one note, when the espionage 3 is running, you will not be able to launch the espionage 2 application, but the espionage 2 can still be active as it uses background processes, it is just that you will not be able to administer the folders.
However you can just quit espionage 3 (this will not affect the folder protection in any way) and then you can launch espionage 2, once espionage 2 started you can launch again espionage 3, it will not complain.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support