Beginner help

Started by jaireaux, November 26, 2014, 08:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaireaux

I'm not sure I understand how Espionage is supposed to work. (I'm coming from TrueCrypt, btw.)

I drop a folder in Espionage and it gets encrypted. I can lock and unlock the folder, but when I lock it the folder is still there and the filenames are listed inside the folder (but not accessible.)

How do I make the filenames (and the folder?) go away once I've locked them? It doesn't make much sense to me that I'd want to encrypt a folder, but leave the filenames where they would still be identifiable, particularly if my goal is plausible deniability.

TIA

zsolt

If the folder is locked in Espionage, then in the Finder it is empty. This is how it should work.
We still have a problem with Finder not refreshing properly, but it happens only upon initial encryption, if you unlock and lock the folder once, then this problem should go away and the folder should show empty.
Even if the files are shown (which could happen only at initial encryption - if it happens any time later, let me know), if you try to open any of those, it will tell you that the file cannot be found.

Pls try again and let me know if it does not work.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

jaireaux

Ok, it looks like the original folder will always have those files but the folders I encrypt after that are ok.

Is there a way to launch the plausible deniability assistant if I skipped it the first time?

zsolt

I'm not sure how come the original folders still shows the files, but if the new ones are ok, and you cannot reproduce that problem any more, then we leave it like this.

There is no way to launch the wizard again, but you can simply go to the home folder/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3/Data and create a few disk images your self, you can use Disk utility for this, use random size and come up with some random names, similar in naming convention like the one you find there. This is what the wizard does. The bottom line is that by looking into this folder, nobody can determine how many folders did you actually protect with espionage and whether you used folder sets or not.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support