Verify image structure blocks Espionage image mount

Started by Bernak, December 14, 2010, 01:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernak

Hello,

as I have important information on the images created by Espionage, I wanted to verify permissions and structure of the images.
I used Apple DiskUtility to do it. It founded structure problems on some of the images (SyncService was one of them). After the check, I realized the images were unmounted and after that, they were impossible to be mounted again (using either the Espionage menu or the app).
I needed to reboot to be able to mount the volumes again. :(

Is it ok to verify disk the images using the Apple Disk Utility?
Anything I can do to solve this issue?

Regards.

greg

Ah, nice catch. It looks like Disk Utility just "unmounts" the volume after it's done instead of "ejecting" it, and on OS X, there's actually a difference between those two terms.

So, once it's done verifying the disk image, select the folder in the Disk Utility sidebar, and click the blue "Eject" button in Disk Utility's toolbar (at the top of the window). Then you should be able to open the folder again.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

Bernak

Thanks for the information.

I've not yet confirm it, but a little worried about the problem with the SyncServices folder I decided to unprotect and protect it again to rebuild the image. After that I clicked on "verify" on DiskUtility, it reported problems right away, the folder ended locked on Espionage and could not mount it again, only after rebooting.

I am not sure if it's ok to verify Espionage DiskImages created by Espionage using this utility.
I don´t want to sound paranoid, but all my important files reside on those images and I think it could be reasonable to have a way to check and fix eventual problems, like file permissions or volume structure.
Maybe DiskUtility does not handle mounted images that well and it could be better to verify the unmounted image file, but as it's invisible I can´t select it from within DiskUtility.

Any ideas?
Thanks

greg

Quote from: "Bernak"I am not sure if it's ok to verify Espionage DiskImages created by Espionage using this utility.
I don´t want to sound paranoid, but all my important files reside on those images and I think it could be reasonable to have a way to check and fix eventual problems, like file permissions or volume structure.
Maybe DiskUtility does not handle mounted images that well and it could be better to verify the unmounted image file, but as it's invisible I can´t select it from within DiskUtility.

It is OK to verify and repair disk images created by Espionage, you just need to make sure, as I mentioned above, to click on the Eject button in Disk Utility after the folder has been verified/repaired. If you do not do this, you will have to restart before you can unlock the folder.

Bernak

Your recommendation worked and there is no need to reboot as I mentioned. Thanks :)

I still have a problem; after I verified some of my disks I got this errors:

After I click "Repair" I get this:

I do click on "Repair", the log says that the repair was successful, but if I verify it again, I get the same errors right away.  :shock:

I then decided to try another method:
With the disk unmounted, I also select it from the list, and clicked verify from the contextual menu. After that I got this:

I get this same error with 4 images.
I am not sure if this is a real problem, as the files seem to work fine, but I am a little worried about the verification result.

Any help about this?  :?

greg

I would recommend restoring the folder by removing it from Espionage, and then re-encrypting it. If you notice a folder has issues, it's best to get them resolved ASAP before things get worse.

Bernak

I did remove the folder from Espionage. After that I fixed permissions for the entire drive, verify the complete disk, and re-encrypt. Then I run the test again with Disk Utility and got "Unused Node" errors again, but not exactly the same ones.

I did restore the image once again and verified the image from the Trash with DiskUtility. It reported no errors using the "Verify" option from the contextual menu. Maybe it has something to do with hidden images or something. Not sure what the problem is, but will continue to try more ideas to find out, as I am a little worried about the health of my image files.

Thanks for the help and this will not stop me from using it, as I like Espionage a lot.