Dropbox issue

Started by Jason, June 02, 2012, 07:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm trying to follow the instructions, "Using Dropbox with Espionage". I've moved a locked folder disc image to Dropbox and copied the password. The disk image has transferred to my other computer. On my other computer, I've unlocked Espionage and dragged the disk image to the Espionage icon in the menubar. Now, when I try to mount the disk image, I get a spinning Dropbox icon in the menubar. When I click on the Dropbox icon, the banner opens and says, "Can't sync ".Trashes": access denied.

Jason

Need some help here. Thank you.

Jason

I'm hung up on this step:

"On computer B, unlock Espionage and then drag the disk image onto the Espionage icon in the menubar to import the disk image. Enter the password that you copied in step 2 and choose create or choose an existing folder as the mountpoint (where you will eventually access the data):"

How do I enter the password that I copied in step 2?

sjf_control

Quote from: "Jason"I'm hung up on this step:

"On computer B, unlock Espionage and then drag the disk image onto the Espionage icon in the menubar to import the disk image. Enter the password that you copied in step 2 and choose create or choose an existing folder as the mountpoint (where you will eventually access the data):"

It should prompt you for it when you drop the image onto the icon

Jason

Still struggling with this.

zsolt

Hello Jason
First you say:
Quote from: "Jason"Now, when I try to mount the disk image, I get a spinning Dropbox icon in the menubar. When I click on the Dropbox icon, the banner opens and says, "Can't sync ".Trashes": access denied.

Then you say:
Quote from: "Jason"I'm hung up on this step:

From your first statement I would guess that the disk image is already added to the Dropbox on Computer B, but from the second, it seems that you did not.

Indeed, it should ask you for the password when you try to drag the disk image to Espionage Window on the second computer.
And only after it is added to Espionage on the second computer, which means you entered the password and specified the mount point, can you try to unlock it from Espionage.

Can you please clarify in which state the disk image on the second computer is? Does it already appear in the Espionage window with valid mount point or not?

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

zsolt

To forum readers: Jason also submitted a support ticket for the same topic, and here is his latest update:

I finally resolved the issue. The concept that I did not understand and finally figured out through trial and error is that sync'd folders has to live outside of Dropbox on both computers, and only the sparseimage is in Dropbox. As a non-programmer, I never could figure out symbolic links, and thus always keep all my files in Dropbox and not in the Documents folder. So, my suggestion would be to make this more obvious to non-power users.

It's all working fine now.

We will update the help file to make this detail clearer.

Thanks to Jason for sharing this with us.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support