Help with a password a single folder

Started by vbdiver58, June 25, 2011, 08:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbdiver58

I guess I don't understand the Espionage instructions .  I want to put a password on a single file that I can put on a USB stick (thumbdrive , whatever the nomenclature  ).
I have tried  dragging said folder ( simple text only) from the desktop on my Macbook PRO onto the Espionage window , creating a password , then copying onto the USB stick. ( enabled unchecked per instructions )
The problem I encounter is ,when I open the folder on the USB stick, I see 3 folders that say something to the effect may contain encrypted info , etc.
I just want to have a password protected folder I can take from MAC to MAC on a stick. It's nothing huge just email addresses & some personal info  .
The product sounds simple . What am I missing ?  Where are the simple instructions for simple folks like me , I paid a $30+ something for something I can't use ? Do I have to buy the program again for that USB drive ?
it's frustrating

thanks,
vbdiver58

greg

Quote from: "vbdiver58"I guess I don't understand the Espionage instructions .  I want to put a password on a single file that I can put on a USB stick (thumbdrive , whatever the nomenclature  ).
I have tried  dragging said folder ( simple text only) from the desktop on my Macbook PRO onto the Espionage window , creating a password , then copying onto the USB stick. ( enabled unchecked per instructions )
The problem I encounter is ,when I open the folder on the USB stick, I see 3 folders that say something to the effect may contain encrypted info , etc.
I just want to have a password protected folder I can take from MAC to MAC on a stick. It's nothing huge just email addresses & some personal info  .
The product sounds simple . What am I missing ?  Where are the simple instructions for simple folks like me , I paid a $30+ something for something I can't use ? Do I have to buy the program again for that USB drive ?
it's frustrating

thanks,
vbdiver58

The issue here is that when you copy a folder from one drive to another (as you did here, you copied the folder from the Desktop to a USB stick, which is considered a different drive), OS X will create a copy of the folder, it doesn't move it.

So, the folder you currently have on your USB stick is encrypted, but Espionage is not aware of its existence. Because Espionage doesn't now of this folder, it cannot detect listen for access attempts to the folder (so that it can bring up the password prompt). Simply drag that folder from the USB stick onto Espionage to make Espionage aware of it. When the sheet drops down, you should see "Already encrypted" next to "Choose Encryption". Then just enter the password for the folder.

Note that this is covered in Espionage's manual here:

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/Espi ... oving.html

I hope that was helpful, please let us know if you have any other questions.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!