Recent posts

Espionage 3 / Re: okTurtles e-mail
Last post by adkim - March 11, 2017, 05:43:20 PM
Nevermind... I figured it out... should have read the directions a little more carefully...!
Thanks anyways.
Last post by adkim - March 11, 2017, 10:14:53 AM
Tao,

Great, thanks!

However, running into a small problem.  I made the purchase but the app won't let me replace my old v.3 license with the new one.
What's your best course of action to do this?
Last post by zsolt - March 09, 2017, 12:16:21 PM
Hello, yes it does, lifetime is indeed lifetime, all future versions. Your job is only to live as long as you can, or wish :-)

Enjoy it

Zsolt
Espionage 3 / okTurtles e-mail
Last post by adkim - March 08, 2017, 06:33:15 PM
Dear Tao Effect,

I saw the e-mail about purchasing a "lifetime Espionage license" and wanted to know whether or not this means a lifetime license for all future upgrades beyond version 3... i.e. 4, 5. etc.
https://stacksocial.com/sales/espionage-3-lifetime-license?aid=a-ee5znllm

Thanks!

Espionage 3 / Re: Internal workings
Last post by zsolt - February 24, 2017, 12:57:02 AM
Helo Mark
During initial Espionage setup, the wizard will generate a random number of dummy sparse bundles, you will be asked how many and which size or it will do it random for you. This breaks the one to one relation between of total number of protected folders and number of support bundles.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Rgds
Zsolt
Espionage 3 / Internal workings
Last post by markrmark - February 23, 2017, 08:52:59 AM
I work in IT and am a software developer.

I'm evaluating Espionage 3 for encryption use.

Something I'm not sure about... it appears that Espionage is internally using Sparsebundles... instead of using something like TrueCrypt / LUKS etc. How does Espionage achieve any real level of plausible deniability using Sparsebundles?

For example if I encrypt one folder, it appears in the Data/ folder as a Sparsebundle. If I encrypt another folder, it appears in the Data/ folder. If someone wanted to know if I had given them all the folder set passwords, all they would have to do is look at all the folders that the password I gave them accessed, and see if there were other Sparsebundle files in Data/ that they did not have access to.

Am I missing something?
Espionage 3 / Re: Can't see contents of decr...
Last post by zsolt - February 22, 2017, 04:02:31 AM
And you made one support tech happy too :-)

In case of any further questions or troubles,

Let me know
Zsolt
Last post by tatami - February 22, 2017, 03:10:25 AM
Zsolt

It went brilliantly! Thank you for your clear, detailed and helpful instructions. Problem solved and I'm a very happy customer.

Best wishes

Philip
Last post by zsolt - February 21, 2017, 10:34:28 PM
Hello Philip,

Yes, this folder sharing on Mac is in general a bit clumsy and this is why I do not want to rely on it.
The thing is that if you login as user which is present on that mac, then you have access to all folders which that user can see locally no matter they are shared or not. And considering this is not a server-client setup but instead just a regular user machine, just two of them, then it is normal that you will have the credentials to log on as an existing user, and then yes, you will see the Library folder too.

But there is nothing to duplicate, you directly import the disk image from the MacBook into Espionage, so Espionage will be reading the remote disk image.

To import it, do the following:

on the macbook unlock Espionage
click onto small "i" near the folder name you want to import
using the disk image drop down menu, note the name of the disk image
click copy password button
save this password into some text file you will be able to access from iMac
go to iMac,
create one empty folder you will use to read the content of the protected folder form MacBook, any name will be ok, it can be in any path, but I suggest to place it inside user folder.
unlock espionage
open the MacBook's ...taoeffect..../Data folder
drag the correct disk image onto espionage window (on iMac)
Espionage will ask you for a password
paste the one you saved in the text file
now it will ask you for a mountpoint folder
point it to the folder you created in previous step
now you should be able to unlock the folder locally on the iMac

MAKE SURE you lock the folder, before you break the network connection between the iMac and MacBook
if the network connection is not up, if you try to unlock the folder it will simply report that the disk image is missing, no harm done

let me know how it went

Zsolt
Last post by tatami - February 21, 2017, 03:45:03 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Zsolt, I've been busy on other things. I've followed your instructions and even before I made the folder com.taoeffect.Espionage3 on my MacBook shared, I was able to navigate to it from my iMac.

I'm hoping that I won't have to duplicate it on my iMac because it's very large – over 500MB.

I'll wait to hear back from you and thanks again for your help here.

Philip

PS I'm still mystified about why a few months ago I could see the contents of the mounted encrypted MacBook disk when I logged in from my iMac but now I can't. What's changed?