Backup recovery after clean install

Started by phahmann, July 30, 2012, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phahmann

Hi,

Yesterday I formated my MB Pro to make a clean ML install. I've installed Espionage 3 and restored my *.sparcebundle image from my backup disk. What now? How do I mount/decrypt this image?

Thanks!

Peter

zsolt

Hello Peter,
Did you also restore the whole Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.espionage3 folder?
If not, then try to do that instead of restoring only the images.
Also, it would be good to restore the preferences files located in Library/Preferences folder.

Once all set, everything should be fine in Espionage.

At this moment, when you open Espioange, do you see any folder listed?

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

phahmann

Thanks for your reply Zsolt!

Well actually I could do this, but I was wondering if there wasn't any way to it without having to restore all "application support" data, but instead just using my *.sparcebundle image backup.

Rgds,
Peter

zsolt

Yes, there is.
Start up the Espionage new, create one empty folder in Finder which will be used for Mountpoint (I'm not sure if it has to be the same name and path like before), and then drag the disk image over Espionage window.
Espionage will recognize it and will ask you for the disk image password.
And now we come to the tricky part, if you did not copy the password out of the database at earlier stage (with clicking onto small "i" near the folder name and then clicking onto copy password button), then you have to obtain it now. And to do that, you have to load the database which was active at that time.
And to do that, you need to place the database3 file into com.taoeffect.espionage3 folder.

So to summarize it step by step:
- quit espionage, rename the current database3 file to database3orig or something like it
- restore the database3 file from backup
- place it into the com.taoeffect.espionage3 folder
- start Espionage
- if the database3 file is correct you should see the folder listed in the window, click on i, copy the password
- quit espionage
- rename the database3 into database3old
- rename the database3orig to database3
- start espionage
- import the disk image
- enter the disk image password when prompted
- select the mount point

and you are done :-)

Let me know if you need further help.

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support