Protecting applications without kernel extension is possible

Started by wesley, January 06, 2013, 11:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesley

I recently came across MacFort which has the ability to protect applications and folders with a password (the functionality which was removed from Espionage). They do this without a kernel extension, instead they intercept the application launch in some different way (their words). Is it really not possible for Espionage to do something similar?

http://www.madowsoft.com

zsolt

Everything is possible, so your question would simply be a request for Espionage 3 to provide this functionality, correct?

Why does MacFort capable to do that I do not know, it might be that it came later, or it was not possible to provide the other functionality of Esp which MacFort does not have, withouth Kernel Ext etc.

I will file a feature request as described above.

Thanks for your input,
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

wesley

Thank you, yes, it's a feature request :) It was said in the past that a kernel extension was necessary and this made things more complicated whenever a new version of mac os x comes out it may fail. But it appears now that there are ways to accomplish this without any sort of kernel extension.

Thanks.