Internal error decrypting database, please see system log for details.

Started by cosmicnick, July 25, 2013, 02:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmicnick

I am getting this error fairly regularly, which is resolved by me rebooting my machine.

1. Are other people having this problem?
2. Is there any solution, other than a reboot?

Thanks...
(still liked Version 2 more, though I like being able to work with Dropbox)

greg

Can you please provide the following info:

- Version of Espionage that you're using
- Open up the Console application, choose "All Messages" or "system.log" from the blue bar on the left, and filter for the string "espionage" in the search box at the top-right of the window. Copy all messages and paste them in your response so that we can see what's happened. If you're confused, watch this video (uses version 2 as an example, but same idea applies).

If you don't see any messages from Espionage, search the Console the next time it happens.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

cosmicnick

Espionage 3.0.0....

I'm sorry, but I can't figure out how to open the console version... where this video suggests to find the right pulldown menu, that doesn't work for me with 3.0 because it doens't take control of the pull down menus.

greg

Hi Cosmicnick,

Please update to the current version of Espionage: 3.5, the problem should be fixed there.

The Console app is located in /Applications/Utilities, but it's easier to simply type "Console" in Spotlight.

Cheers,
Greg

cosmicnick

This is kind of exhausting.  I downloaded the new Espionage (3.5), and it doesn't have my files encrypted or my license code.  I can't figure out how to get my license information from the old Espionage (3.0). 

Is there a tutorial as to how to upgrade?  I can't imagine I have to un-encrypt my old files, quit the app, launch the trial version, request my license information again, then re-encrypt my files.

greg

cosmicnick,

The very old version of Espionage you were using had its database stored in a different location than the current version. The database should have been moved for you but it seems like something went wrong so you'll have to do it manually:

First, make sure Espionage isn't running before proceeding.

1. In the Finder, choose "Go To Folder..." from the Go menu
2. Paste this in and press "Go": ~/Library/Application Support/Espionage
3. Open a new Finder window (File > New Finder Window)
4. Choose "Go To Folder..." again, this time enter: ~/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3
5. Copy (don't move) the "database3" file from the "Espionage" folder (the first window from step #2) into the "com.taoeffect.Espionage3" folder. Replace any existing database3 file in the target folder if necessary (but only if you haven't encrypted any folders with 3.5 yet).

WARNING: Make sure you do step #5 in the correct direction. Do NOT copy 'database3' from "com.taoeffect.Espionage3" into "Espionage". Doing so can result in the loss of your data.

After you finished, open Espionage 3.5 again. If you need to have your license resent to you send us an email asking us to resent it (please include the email address you used to purchase it, and/or the name on your license).