Espionage and Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 TIP

Started by jrdelgiorno, August 21, 2011, 12:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdelgiorno

I recently upgraded to Mac OSX Lion 10.7.1 and right away started having issues. The main problem I had was my Mac Mail program slowed down to a crawl and would even freeze, forcing me to do a Force Quit. I also was unable to run my Espionage program, so I wasn't able to unlock my Mail program to see if that was the problem.

I uninstalled the Espionage program, which completely locked me out of the Mail program from even running, I then reinstalled Espionage and added the Mail program back to it for Locking, rebooted the system, and then reopened Espionage, Unlocked the Mail and Mail download folders, and all systems worked fine afterwards.

What I would of done differently, I would of Unlocked ALL folders and programs through Espionage, BEFORE loading the new OSX Lion, then rebooted, made sure Espionage could open and run effectively, and re-lock my chosen folders and programs.

I haven't tried to re-lock my Mail program via espionage yet, but I will soon and if I start to have issues again, I'll keep you all posted.

jrdelgiorno

By the way, I used the program "CleanMyMac" to uninstall the Espionage program.

marty

Welcome to the forums, jrdelgiorno!

Your suggestion is actually a pretty good one: during operating system upgrades (and even "patches"), the OS X Software Update utility and the script it follows is going to presume a lot of things about your system. One of those might be that there be unencumbered access to files, folders, applications and a whole host of other things — some of which may be replaced outright by the upgrade. You really don't even know what applications may be run as a part of an upgrade. And for upgrades that require a reboot as part of the installation you can be assured that most applications will be quit before files are being moved, etc.

Not having all your folders for Apple's applications/utilities available to the upgrade may cause the upgrade to make assumptions and create new, empty replacements for them as the upgrade runs.

As to your application removal technique, while CleanMyMac and other similar utilities may make a grand attempt at properly removing Espionage, they will never really know how the pieces interact with each other and how to remove our software. You can uninstall Espionage by running it, and choosing the Espionage > Uninstall Espionage menu option.

Marty
Tao Effect Support

follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

jrdelgiorno

Excellent suggestions Marty, unfortunately, I was not able to perform any commands within Espionage. I could get the program initiated, then it wouldn't respond to anything, even the uninstall option. This is why I used "CleanMyMac" to uninstall it, then re-install through the Espionage download site.

marty

Because you quickly followed up with a full re-install of Espionage there was likely no "harm" done by using a different means to uninstall the application. :) It's possible that just downloading and replacing the Espionage application in the early stages would have then given you the ability to uninstall it (that sounds unintuitive, but that's sometimes needed!).

The really important thing is that everything worked out for you in the end, and that you were willing to take the time to share it with other Espionage customers. Thanks so much!

Marty
Tao Effect Support

jrdelgiorno

Its my pleasure, Im a fan of the Espionage software and use it on all my Macs.  :D

marty

That's exactly what we like to hear!  8-)

Marty
Tao Effect Support