Remove completely Espionage 3 en re-install

Started by fatmama, October 01, 2012, 07:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatmama

Hi,
I tried Espionage some weeks ago en the trial is expired.  Now, after some weeks I bought a license but can't remember the pasword.  Is there any way to remove completely en re-install from scratch?
regards,
Eric

zsolt

Hello Eric, yes, quit Espionage using the menu bar padlock and then delete the following folder

homefolder/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.espionage3

then launch Espionage again and it should start from scratch.

Note that this will also remove all the data you encrypted so far.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Rgds
zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

franzw

I have tried everything in your posts to try and uninstall Espionage 3 but I can't get rid of the key icon in the menu bar and when i select it, the only option is to enter the correct master password (which I have forgotten).  I tried renaming the com file and running espionage and it allowed me to enter a new password but the new password does not unlock the program currently running.

How can i remove it completely?

zsolt

Hello, you are probably mixing up V2 and V3 of Espionage.
They both create padlock icons in the menu bar, and the icon looks the same. The difference is however, when you click on V2 padlock icon, you will get a standard drop down menu, if you click on V3 padlock icon, you will get a drop down window with a field in the middle for master password enter.

If it is V3, you simply clic on the cog icon in the lower right corner of the window and select quit.
If it is V2, then you have to uninstall it manually, by removing the following files:

Note that some files are in your home Library folder and some in your root Library folder. Your home Library folder is hidden since Lion, to enter into it from Finder, switch to Finder, hold down the option key and select Library from the list of "places to go".:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage
/Users/[your username]/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist
/Users/[your username]/Library/Services/EspionageMenu.service (might not exist)
/System/Library/Extensions/iSpy.kext
/Library/iSpy
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.ispyd.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist (might not exist)
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.taoeffect.Espionage (might not exist)

once you removed the files/folder, please reboot your Mac

Then check which version of Espionage you have in the Application folder, if it is V2 do not launch it, just trash it. If it is V3 then you can launch it and use it, if you know the master password, if you do not, then rename the Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3 folder and launch it again, this will take you to setup.

I hope I got things right, if not, let me know which part did not work.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support