Espionage Cannot encrypt my Thunderbird folder, please help

Started by FigsandPomegranates, November 26, 2014, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FigsandPomegranates

Hi,
     I previously used Espionage 2 to encrypt my Thunderbird folder with no problems.  I have since upgraded to Mavericks and Espionage 3.  Now, I keep getting an error that prevents Espionage from successfully encrypting my ~3 GB Thunderbird folder.  Can someone help me figure out what is wrong?  I have pasted the relevant log comments below.  Thanks!

11/27/14 12:14:42.556 PM Espionage[16288]: ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) copyOrMoveContentsFrom:intoLocationAt:destinationName:options:upOneLevel:cancelBlock:move:error:]:490): failed because: !subitems

11/27/14 12:14:42.557 PM Espionage[16288]: ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) copyOrMoveContentsFrom:intoLocationAt:destinationName:options:upOneLevel:cancelBlock:move:error:]:509): error 260 durng copy of: file:///Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird/

11/27/14 12:14:42.558 PM Espionage[16288]: ERROR (+[DiskMaster createDiskForFolderFace:diskInfoSettings:options:icon:error:]:264): failed copy of /Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird into diskimage file:///Users/deer/Library/Application%20Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3/Data/Temp/60E808DD-7AE2-45F0-8EE4-F68236D2098B.sparsebundle

11/27/14 12:14:43.940 PM Espionage[16288]: ERROR (-[EncryptFolderTask go:]:140): Error creating disk image for 'Thunderbird': Error Domain=Espionage Code=260 "Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

Could not copy all of: /Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird

See system log for more." UserInfo=0x600000661800 {NSLocalizedDescription=Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

See system log for more.}

11/27/14 12:14:43.941 PM Espionage[16288]: WARN (-[EncryptFolderTask go:]:238): Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

See system log for more.

zsolt

Hello, normally this should work, your problem might be a combination of Thunderbird still locking some of its files, and maybe some permission problem.

Please reboot, and try again before starting Thunderbird for the first time upon reboot.

If it still fails, let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

FigsandPomegranates

Thanks for the reply and Happy Thanksgiving!
Well, I already did try re-booting and repairing permissions.  I forgot to mention that I am running Espionage 3.6.2 and Thunderbird 24.6.0 in Mavericks 10.9.5.  My Thunderbird folder is about 3 GB in size.  After dragging the folder to Espionage, it began to encrypt and then failed with the "The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file." error.

Here are my console messages from my latest attempt:

11/29/14 5:11:07.951 PM Espionage[6847]: WARN (-[TEAppDelegate isGoodFolderAtURL:error:]:1183): Only encrypt folders in the Library folder if you know what you're doing. If you're encrypting application data, do not run the application until its data is unlocked. Are you sure you want to do this?

11/29/14 5:13:35.044 PM Espionage[6847]: ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) copyOrMoveContentsFrom:intoLocationAt:destinationName:options:upOneLevel:cancelBlock:move:error:]:490): failed because: !subitems

11/29/14 5:13:35.044 PM Espionage[6847]: ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) copyOrMoveContentsFrom:intoLocationAt:destinationName:options:upOneLevel:cancelBlock:move:error:]:509): error 260 durng copy of: file:///Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird/

11/29/14 5:13:35.099 PM Espionage[6847]: ERROR (+[DiskMaster createDiskForFolderFace:diskInfoSettings:options:icon:error:]:264): failed copy of /Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird into diskimage file:///Users/deer/Library/Application%20Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3/Data/Temp/F9FB535E-0122-44C7-8BA0-3B32AC72EE7E.sparsebundle

11/29/14 5:13:42.138 PM Espionage[6847]: ERROR (-[EncryptFolderTask go:]:140): Error creating disk image for 'Thunderbird': Error Domain=Espionage Code=260 "Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

See system log for more." UserInfo=0x600000478780 {NSLocalizedDescription=Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

11/29/14 5:13:42.141 PM Espionage[6847]: WARN (-[EncryptFolderTask go:]:238): Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

See system log for more.

zsolt

OK, then try the following trick

quit Thunderbird then make a copy of /Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird, the copy process might fix problems with missing or corrupted files, either it will complain too, or it will go through. Then rename the original Thunderbird folder to Thunderbird-orig or alike and rename the Thunderbird copy folder to Thunderbird.
Then add the Thunderbird folder to Espionage and see if that will work.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

FigsandPomegranates

I finally got around to trying the copy and replace of the Thunderbird folder.   :P Unfortunately, it didn't work although there was a little progress.  During my latest attempt at encrypting my Thunderbird folder, the encryption process did actually start before stopping suddenly midway.

Here are my Console logs:

12/10/14 12:11:46.441 AM Espionage[461]: WARN (-[TEAppDelegate isGoodFolderAtURL:error:]:1183): Only encrypt folders in the Library folder if you know what you're doing. If you're encrypting application data, do not run the application until its data is unlocked. Are you sure you want to do this?

12/10/14 12:12:49.384 AM Espionage[461]: ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) copyOrMoveContentsFrom:intoLocationAt:destinationName:options:upOneLevel:cancelBlock:move:error:]:490): failed because: !subitems

12/10/14 12:12:49.384 AM Espionage[461]: ERROR (-[NSFileManager(TEAdditions) copyOrMoveContentsFrom:intoLocationAt:destinationName:options:upOneLevel:cancelBlock:move:error:]:509): error 260 durng copy of: file:///Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird/

12/10/14 12:12:49.386 AM Espionage[461]: ERROR (+[DiskMaster createDiskForFolderFace:diskInfoSettings:options:icon:error:]:264): failed copy of /Users/deer/Library/Thunderbird into diskimage file:///Users/deer/Library/Application%20Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3/Data/Temp/82DA9DCD-E72E-4F2C-8D37-96BE7CF0C054.sparsebundle

12/10/14 12:12:50.644 AM Espionage[461]: ERROR (-[EncryptFolderTask go:]:140): Error creating disk image for 'Thunderbird': Error Domain=Espionage Code=260 "Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

See system log for more." UserInfo=0x600000667ec0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

12/10/14 12:12:50.646 AM Espionage[461]: WARN (-[EncryptFolderTask go:]:238): Error during copy: The file "Thunderbird" couldn't be opened because there is no such file.

See system log for more.

12/10/14 12:13:03.453 AM Espionage[461]: INFO: backed up: /Users/deer/Library/Application Support/com.taoeffect.Espionage3/Backups/database3 2014-12-10 001303

Any new ideas?  Thanks!

zsolt

Hello, as far as I can see, the error is same as before, it is trying to copy a file which he cannot access.
So you say that when you duplicated the folder, it went through without problem, no errors or such?

Pls confirm, and I will see with developers if we can create a console entry specifying exactly at which file do we get stuck.

Thanks
Zsolt

FigsandPomegranates

Yes, the copy went fine with no errors.  Thunderbird works without an hiccups.

Thanks for the speed of your answers!

Chris

greg

Hi FigsandPomegranates, this is a very weird problem, and we haven't been able to reproduce it.

I suspect it's a permissions related error.

Can you verify that you can encrypt at least some folders with Espionage 3?

If you can, then it's probably special permissions on the Thunderbird folder, in which case this might help:

• Rename the "Thunderbird" folder to something else (like "Thunderbird-old")
  • Create a new empty folder called "Thunderbird" in its place.
  • Move the files and folders from the old one to the new one.

If that doesn't help, and yet you're still able to encrypt any other folder, then sorry, it just makes no sense. The only other thing I can think of is that it might be some weird conflict with some third-party software you have installed (that's our "catch-all" explanation when we've exhausted all other possibilities).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

FigsandPomegranates

Thanks!  I finally got it to work.  I first tried encrypting another > 1 GB folder and had no problems.  I then found my Thunderbird folder in Finder and opened Right Click-->Get Info on the folder.  I then went down to permissions and clicked the settings icon (after unlocking it with my administrator username and password) and "applied to enclosed items" to set the same permissions to all the items in the folder.
After I did that, I tried encrypting the folder with Espionage and it finally worked.  You were right.  It appears to have been a permissions problem.

Happy New Year!

zsolt

:) great,
thanks for confirmation.
Please report any issues you encounter regarding Thunderbird protection

Thanks
Zsolt