Synchronize via Owncloud Client with a web server

Started by Ishan, August 09, 2014, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishan

Hi,

I want to synchronise the sparsebundle via Owncloud/Bit Torrent Sync/WebDAV with a web server, hosted in the internet.
O.K manually no problem. I lock the sparse bundle, start the sync process with one of the above possibilities.

No, I want, that the process is script/task based automatically.
I.e. I use a screensaver which could start a program/script/automator action (own cloud client), or an applescript/automator action on OSX. Before the process starts the sparse bundle must be locked/unmounted like the described way using Dropbox.

After finishing the sync process I want that the bundle image mounted again, also script/task based.

Any ideas how to do this?

Thank's
Ishan

zsolt

I'm afraid we cannot do that. There is an option in Espionage 3.6 to lock it when the screen saver is activated, but this will lock only Espionage application, not the unlocked folders.
Plus, there is nothing we can trigger upon screen saver unlock.

I will ask the debs for further hints, but I guess what we would need here is simple applescript support.

I'll let you know if they reply something.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

greg

Ishan: right now you can accomplish half of what you want.

Have your script simply run this command:

hdiutil detach /path/to/your/encrypted/folder

This way you can ensure the folder is locked before doing the sync. For now, you'll need to manually unlock it again.

This type of automation stuff is on our TODO list though. :)
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

zsolt

Hello Ishan,

Greg reminded me about further option: by using hdiutil, you can manipulate the disk images Espionage is using, you can unmount them as Greg wrote, but you can even mount them, it is just that you need the password. The password for each disk image you can get through Espionage GUI, by clicking onto small "i" near the folder name and clicking onto "copy password" button after that.
hdiutil has an option to read the disk image password from standard input, so typing it into a pipe and reading from with hdiutil from it does the trick. However: by doing this, the whole concept of Espionage is made useless because the disk image passwords are written in clear text in the script, unless you maybe compile it into a binary code.
If you get stuck, let me know.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support