Rebuilding System

Started by jaireaux, November 15, 2017, 08:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaireaux

My old Macbook died so I'm rebuilding on a new one. I had my encrypted folders on an external drive so they're still available. When I try to open a .sparsebundle by double-clicking it and entering my password, it says "Try again" and when I try to import it into espionage, it says "Invalid password".

I don't know if I was on v2 or v3, but I generally try to stay current so I think it would be v3. All the files are not hidden and all .sparsebundles.

What am I doing wrong?

zsolt

Hello, if you send me your email to taoeffect@macmesupport.com then I can search our license database to determine if you have a valid license for version 3. Anyway, in case you are protecting a folder on an external disk, then the sparsebundle names will bear the name of the folder you are protecting, same as in Espionage 2. However in Espionage 2 the sparse bundle was located inside the folder you were protecting and in Espionage 3 they can be in any folder you want. So I guess it is indeed an Espionage 3 setup.

If this is so, then, whereas the password for sparsebundles in Espionage 2 were user defined, i.e. where those you used to unlock the folder, in Espionage 3 they are application generated and can be seen only if you deliberately copied them out of Espionage using the copy password button in folder info window. So unless you did that, you will not be able to import the sparse bundles.

If you have a backup of the espionage folder inside your home/Library folder, we can revert the espionage to an older date state and then you can copy the passwords out, if you do not have a backup then the data is lost.

Let me know if I can help you further,

Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

nitemagi

So I have a similar problem. My laptop died. I have the sparse bundle files on a backup disc.

At the same time, I had an older version of the backup on my old laptop that still functions. So my question is where to find the "copy password button in folder info window."

zsolt

Hello, sorry for the laaate reply, it seems that forum notifications were not set up properly on my side, so your post went by unnoticed, do you still have the problem?
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

greg

Quote from: nitemagi on March 10, 2023, 10:49:45 PMSo I have a similar problem. My laptop died. I have the sparse bundle files on a backup disc.

At the same time, I had an older version of the backup on my old laptop that still functions. So my question is where to find the "copy password button in folder info window."

You can actually see this button in the 2nd screenshot on the Espionage homepage: https://www.espionageapp.com/includes/images/screenshot2.jpg
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!