Lost Folders!!!

Started by mloftus, April 16, 2012, 10:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mloftus

I just purchased a new laptop and was moving files between computers.  I tried to remove encryption for each folder I was moving and thought all was good.  Unfortunately, I have gone back to those folders and there is nothing there....All files have disappeared, years of work.

Please advise...Michael

zsolt

Hello Michael,

You have to be very precise in describing what you did so that I can follow it, otherwise I cannot give you precise suggestions.
Please use folder names so that we do not get confused.

Here are the questions as guidelines:
- which folder were protected before migration
- how did you remove them from Espionage?
- did you remove all the protected folders from Espionage?
- did Espionage give you a notification upon removal that the folder is restored to its original state?
- are the folders now on the disk just they are empty or what?
- did you enable backup in Espionage?
- do you have TimeMachine backup or any other type of backup?

Please answer these and then we can move on.

Thanks
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

mloftus

Answers below to questions:

- which folder were protected before migration - roughly four folders
- how did you remove them from Espionage? Opened Espionage, typed in password to open, than removed
- did you remove all the protected folders from Espionage? yes
- did Espionage give you a notification upon removal that the folder is restored to its original state? No
- are the folders now on the disk just they are empty or what? Yes
- did you enable backup in Espionage? Not sure, I than tried to delete app by moving to trash, which I now know is the wrong way
- do you have TimeMachine backup or any other type of backup? Yes, but it os dated, again my mistake.  I never though files would just disappear after removing

zsolt

Are you available for remote session, we can take a look into this together. I'm online or next 15 minutes, or we can do it tomorrow, roughly same time as now, a bit earlier if possible.
Pls let me know your preference
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

zsolt

For those interested, we had a remote session and although the state of the environment, regarding Espionage was quite unclear, like many mountpints with broken links and Espionage which did not want to start, we found all the needed sparsebulde images on the local disc using the find command from terminal, copied them away, opened and all files were in.
Not that we got the data back, it is to setup all again in Espionage, but that is more or less like when you are starting for the first time.

Just FYI
Zsolt