Critical Alert: Couldn't Lock Mail Downloads

Started by elementary, April 11, 2012, 05:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elementary

Upon closing Apple Mail i receive two critical alerts. The first one states: Two disk images exist for the folder 'Mail Downloads'! Espionage will not manipulate the folder to prevent data loss, please contact support. The second critical alert states: Couldn't lock Mail Downloads

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? Does anyone have a suggestion or a solution to resolve these two Critical Alerts?

System: Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Thank you,

Elementary

zsolt

Hello Elementary,

In order to understand your configuration, I would kindly ask you to collect the diagnostic report for me, as described in this post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=434

Then I will see which folders did you protect and will be able to give you further instructions.
If you want to keep you config private, then please open a support ticket and attach the diag report files to your opening email.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

elementary

Thank you for your reply. As per your instructions I have emailed the .zip file to the support email address.

Thank you,

Elementary

zsolt

Thanks,, this will continue as support ticket and I will post the solution once found.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

zsolt

So for those interested, before coming to the problem itself, I have to briefly explain how Espionage works.

Say you have a folder named myfolder, and insider myfolder there are myfile1 and myfile2.
Once you add myfolder to Espionage, it will create an encrypted and hidden disk image, name it myfolder, copy the myfile1 and myfile2 into it, and move the original files to the trash.

So when myfolder is locked, it will be a regular folder, but will contain a hidden disk image. Espionage is monitoring click requests to this folder.
Once you click on it, or an application tries to access the content, Espionage will detect this and prompt for pass.

Once the pass is entered it will unlock the folder. But what will in fact happen is this:
- it will move the disk image into the parent folder of myfolder, open the disk image and mount it, and create a symlink named myfolder, pointing to the mounted disk image.
-----------------------------------

now to the problem:
- if you understand what I wrote above, then you realize that the disk image is either in the myfolder, when the myfolder is locked, or it is in the parent folder of myfolder, when the folder is unlocked.

Well, in this case, it was BOTH inside myfolder and parent folder. So on lock request, Espionage should have move the disk image from parent folder into the myfolder, but detected that inside myfolder there is already a disk image with the same name, and to avoid data loss by deleting the disk image, it stop and issued the warning.

Customer disabled the folder in espionage, mounted each disk image, figured out which one is right, deleted the other one and enabled the folder again in Espionage. But if this happens to you, I suggest you open a support ticket so that we verify the things before you proceed deleting things.

Cheers,
Zsolt