Espionage and Hazel

Started by netjpk, February 19, 2012, 08:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

netjpk

Hi there,

I am currently evaluating Espionage, which seems to offer most of the features I am looking for. However, I was wondering if anybody in here had experiences on how to make it work with Hazel (which is a program scanning folders and performing certain actions when necessary)?!? I was trying to add the Hazel prefpane to the whitelist, but that doesn't stop me from getting the password prompt whenever Hazel is (routinely) checking all folders. I guess the problem is that Hazel is not a program as such, but uses processes (e.g., "hazelfolderwatch"), which perhaps cannot be added to the whitelist!?

I am sure several in this forum must use both applications!? Any leads/hints are appreciated!

Thanks!

-J.P.

zsolt

Dear JP,
Instead of adding Hazel to the white list, remove all application association and wait for Hazel to check on folder.
It will bring up the window to enter the password and in the same window, from the drop down menu, select "Add xxx to white list". The xxx is the process which wanted to access the folder, and will be white listed.
Let me know if that helped.
Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

netjpk

Dear zsolt,

thanks so much for this tip - this seems to do the trick indeed!

in the meantime, I came up with a different way of tackling this issue, namely to put every encrypted folder on an exclusion list in Hazel, but your solution is of course much more elegant, and much more like it should be done!

Thanks again!

-J.P.

zsolt

I'm glad it worked. If you have further questions, just let me know.
Cheers
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

pdadoc

I'm trialing espionage, and use hazel. When trying to use hazel to rename and then move a file (after scanning) to an unlocked, encrypted folder, hazel will rename it, but I then get an error message that it could not move the file ("Move Failed... Could not move file...."). There is no further explanation as to why it cannot be moved.

If I change to try and move it to a file espionage does not control, the move works fine. I'd think moving should work fine to a file espionage controls, as long as the folder is unlocked (which I confirmed, and can "see" all the files). What am I missing?

zsolt

Hello pdadoc,

It might be that Hazel does not like symlinks which is the mechanism Espionage uses to link the folder to mounted disk image.
First could you try the same thing but with a file which is in the protected folder and move it into another folder inside protected folder, does that work?
Second, how do you specify the destination folder to Hazel? Try instead of specifying the original folder path (which is a symlink) point it to the mounted disk image?
Pls give it a try and let me know.
Rgds
Zsolt

pdadoc

Zsolt,

Thanks... I think you are correct on this.... What I tried was having Hazel move it to a folder on my firewire disk, and that did not work either. I did try pointing it directly to a folder in the mounted image, but that didn't work either.
I DID make an interesting discovery, which is that if I COPY instead of MOVE the file, it DOES successfully copy it. This may be a "workaround" for now, but it seems this is more of a Noodlesoft (Hazel) issue than Espionage. Let me know if any other thoughts-- thanks!

zsolt

Hi Pdadoc, I will have to test this, give me some time to get Hazel, I hope it runs in demo mode.
Will come back on this.
Cheers
Zsolt