Password Prompt fails to display on file access

Started by seiryu, December 28, 2011, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seiryu

From what I understand of how Espionage should work, if an application attempts to access a file within a controlled folder, the password prompt should be displayed if the folder is locked.

What I see however is that the file access results in a "no such file" type error.  The simplest case I've seen:

The controlled folder is '/Users/abc/protected'
The folder contains a directory 'test'.

From terminal window:

% ls protected/test  # No password prompt from espionage
ls: protected/test: No such file or directory
# results in "No such file or directory" error
% ls protected  # password prompt displays as expected - command is paused pending completion
test
%

Is this operating as designed?  What I'd expect is for the request to open 'protected/test' to trigger the espionage unlock of the protected folder.

I'm on OSX 10.6.8 with Espionage 2.8.13

zsolt

Dear Seiryu, my name is Zsolt and from now on I will be the primary support representative for product questions. Our sincere apologies for the delay that occurred.

What you describe is correct behavior. It is just a matter of going two path steps at once rather then one by one. So instead of listing dir1/dir2, you list dir1, this will trigger the prompt, and once unlocked, you will list dir2.

Anyway, most of the users will use Finder to access the files, and there you cannot go two folders at a time anyway.

So implementing the feature you request would not bring significant feature to users.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support