Auto-lock

Started by jaylindell, July 29, 2010, 08:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaylindell

I don't think I am missing this in the prefs or individual folder options, so this is a post to see what's possible and if any other users feel as I do. (If I've missed this feature, please direct me to where/how to implement it.)

One of the reasons I want to encrypt a folder is for security purposes. That security would be greatly enhanced if my unlocked folders would auto-lock upon: shutdown, logout and/or sleep. Is this possible?

greg

Quote from: "jaylindell"One of the reasons I want to encrypt a folder is for security purposes. That security would be greatly enhanced if my unlocked folders would auto-lock upon: shutdown, logout and/or sleep. Is this possible?

Yes, folders are already auto-locked when you logout or the computer is shutdown or loses power (this happens instantaneously).

When the computer is put to sleep they are not locked, but the screensaver password is sufficient to prevent access to the folders virtually all scenarios. There's one scenario where it might not be sufficient protection, but it involves rather complex techniques that very few individuals possess, and the complexities that arise in implementing this feature (such as what to do with applications that are running and have their data encrypted, or folders with open documents), make it not worth the trouble to implement auto-lock for sleep. You can enable the screensaver password in the Security System Preferences.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

jaylindell

Excellent...sorry I missed that one. Should have known youse guys would have thought of that! Loving Espionage...thanks for a great product.

greg

No problem, and glad to hear you're enjoying Espionage!  :)

greg

We got an email from a customer recently about this question and I would like to post our response here as it is a bit clearer than the responses given above:

Quote from: "Tao Effect"Hi XXXX,

Thanks for contacting us!

Quote from: "XXXX"I'm no subject matter expert, but If I would like to rely on the standard security features of the OS I wouldn't need additional security software, correct?

No, incorrect.

Quote from: "XXXX"I hoped that espionage would give me an extra layer. Can you explain why not

Espionage does give you an extra layer.

I thought this was explained in that thread but perhaps it wasn't explained clearly enough. The screensaver, when password protected, protects your Espionage'd folders when they are unlocked. It does not protect your data. The Espionage folders are already protecting your data, even when they are unlocked.

The difference here is the difference between *where* the data is being protected.

Data on computers can reside in one of two locations (typically):

- On the hard drive
- In memory (RAM)

The hard drive/disk is *not* "memory". The word "memory" specifically refers to RAM. The difference between the two is that RAM (Random Access Memory) needs a constant power supply to it to retain its contents. This means that when you shut down the computer, everything in RAM disappears.

When an Espionage'd folder is unlocked, its data is accessible through RAM, not through the hard disk. It is _always_ encrypted on the hard disk, even when it is unlocked. So that is why it is safe to use the screensaver password to protect your data while the folders are unlocked.

The extra protection that Espionage gives you is if someone takes your computer and tries to get at your data. The screensaver password will not prevent them from accessing all of your unencrypted data on the disk, but your Espionage'd folders will be protected and they won't be able to access them.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if there's anything I can clear up for you.

Quote from: "XXXX"and if you plan to provide this feature?

We might add this feature anyway just because we get so many requests for it. :-p