Lost functionality following reinstall

Started by Klaus1, August 15, 2011, 03:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus1

I have Espionage 2.0.6. I am running Leopard on a PPC G5 iMac.

Following a mucked-up uninstall (don't ask!) and seemingly failed reinstall (from a fresh download), I still have Espionage but it will no longer activate. I have re-entered the previous license.  Error messages include 'no connection to iSpy' and Espionagehelper.

Problem is, the previously encrypted/password protected folders are now in the form of invisible sparsebundles that can only be located via Easyfind. I need those documents back!

Apart from what I obviously did wrong, please tell me how to restore functionality!
iMac iSight G5 2.1 GHz, QT Pro 7.7, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iLife 9 but iMovie 6, Safari 5.0.6

mike

Hi Klaus1,

Did you get a message saying that Espionage is not supported on this Mac? Can you tell us which version of OS X you're running?

If it is Leopard, please download our most recent version that's supported for Leopard here, 2.8.10: http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/rele ... 2.8.10.dmg

Open it, drag it to your Applications folder and allow it to overwrite your copy of Espionage. After that, run Espionage and see if that'll work better now. You might have reboot your Mac after running Espionage.

If you don't see your folders on the list, drag them from Finder into Espionage, that should decrypt them now.

Please let me know how it turns out.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

Klaus1

Thanks Mike, all OK and working as before! :)
iMac iSight G5 2.1 GHz, QT Pro 7.7, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iLife 9 but iMovie 6, Safari 5.0.6

mike

Thanks for the update, I'm glad that worked for you and you're welcome.  :D

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Klaus1

I spoke too soon.

It worked after installation, but when I started up this morning the problems previously described had returned.

I get those 'can't connect with' messages, Espionage refuses to start up, and I can't get to my encrypted folders.

Any ideas?

mike

Wow, that's strange. It sounds as if something is causing the EspionageHelper from starting upon launch. Without that running, Espionage will not work correctly.

Can you download our diagnostic tool here and then run it, it'll submit the report to us at the end. If not, it'll leave a file on the desktop that you can email to us at mailto:support@taoeffect.com">support@taoeffect.com

Please let me know when you send it, and I'll look into it. Thanks!

Klaus1

Thanks.

The report would not submit so have emailed it.

Klaus1

I urgently need access to my two encrypted folder.

I need to know how to unencrypt them.

I need to know how to get rid of Espionage for good. I cannot risk this happening again.

mike

Hi Klaus,

I'm sorry about the issues you're having with Espionage, it is due to an interference with another app or misconfiguration on your system that's causing it to damage Espionage every time you reboot. I replied to your email, please try the instructions in there to get Espionage to work again. After that, you can open Espionage, unlock and then go to the Espionage Menu > Uninstall Espionage to uninstall Espionage and also restore your data folders back to normal folders without the encryption. Just make sure that "Restore encrypted folders" is checked.

I'd like to suggest that you try rebooting the computer a few more time after trying the instruction, it might fix the issue for good.

Please let me know if I could be of further assistance.