Dropbox and Espionage: error with selected folder

Started by minorjive, August 06, 2011, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minorjive

I'm following the directions in your Using Espionage with Dropbox blog post but running into a problem each time I try.

When I get to step 5, Adjust Dropbox's Preferences, after I change the Dropbox folder location to the Vault folder which I've set up inside my Home directory, I get an error from Dropbox: "Error with selected folder: Target folder is on a device that does not have enough free space" (screenshot)

The thing is, disk space should not be an issue. My Dropbox folder is 29.32 GB and hard drive has 122.38 GB free space.

greg

It sounds like the problem could be that the folder's capacity has been reached. Each encrypted folder has a limited capacity because the encrypted folders are represented by disk images. These instructions will tell you how to increase the folder's capacity:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83&p=192&hilit=resize#p192

In the future, we hope to make this much easier.  ;)
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

minorjive

That did the trick! Thanks very much. Currently watching Dropbox move all its files to the Vault folder. Presumably all will be smooth sailing from there..

One further question: am I correct to think whatever capacity I give the encrypted folder is counted against my total available disk space on my hard drive? In other words, if I set the capacity to 60 gigs, then that substracts 60 gigs from the available disk space on my hard drive, even if my DropBox folder currently only stores 30 gigs of data. If that is correct, it might be worth mentioning in the instructions, since people might not realize the the limit they pick could affect other aspects of their machine's performance.

mike

Hi minorjive,

The disk image will grow to the fixed size, it doesn't automatically reserve the space on the hard drive. In other words, it will only take up 30GB on the drive for now and it'll grow with the size of your Dropbox folder until it reaches 60GB.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

minorjive

Ah, great to know. Thanks!

marty

I'm glad that you understand better how the space is initially allocated and then increases as you store more information in the encrypted folder.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know!

/Marty
Tao Effect Support

follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!