Searching "Encrypted" Files in Finder

Started by kyushu2002, July 30, 2011, 05:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyushu2002

I'm using a trial version of Espionage 2 on my Macbbok Pro running Lion. I have followed the steps to encrypt my files and have backed them up on my hard drive.  If I navigate through finder to the encrypted folders, when I click on them it asks for a password.  However, if I use the Search feature in Finder, all my "encrypted" files show in the results and can be opened like any other file (note: the folders they are contained in are locked still).

Am I missing a step in setup of Espionage 2 to prevent Finder from displaying my encrypted files?
If so, besides Searching in Finder, what else do I need to protect my data against?

mike

Hi Kyushu2002, welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry that we didn't get to you sooner. We've gotten really busy with all the support inquiries related to Lion.

The index file that is responsible for helping Finder locate your data with Spotlight is stored within the encrypted folders. So once it is locked, it can't be used to locate it because Finder won't be able to use the index files.

I'm not sure what's going on, is it possible what Finder was opening was from a different folder? It is also possible those files are in your Trash folder, this is done sometime to make sure Espionage can encrypt your data first before removing the files in the original folder. Be sure to empty the trash after you verified that you can access the files inside the locked folder.

Just to be sure, I just did this on Lion.  I did a search for specific files, I see them from locked folders and as soon as I lock the folder, the search results immediately refreshed with the data from the locked folder gone. So, it is working correctly on Lion.

You might find it helpful to see the file path to those files in finder. Open Finder, go to the View Menu > Show Path Bar. Do another search and select the file that's not supposed to be shown and look at the bottom, it should give you the path. Does it match the locked folder path?

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!