Lost folder password, but know the master password..

Started by bn86, July 22, 2011, 02:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bn86

Hello,

My encrypted folder has somehow become disassociated with Espionage and now just shows those three folders rather than asking for a password. I've read the other posts but I'm unclear as to whether the master password can save me here..

If I drag it back into Espionage to re-associate it, don't I need to know the password for that folder?

If anyone can help me, I would be so grateful. I can't bear to think about losing this stuff.

greg

Quote from: "bn86"If I drag it back into Espionage to re-associate it, don't I need to know the password for that folder?

That's correct.

QuoteIf anyone can help me, I would be so grateful. I can't bear to think about losing this stuff.

Are you using the separate Espionage keychain or the login keychain? (Check in the Advanced preferences).

You can try using the Keychain Access program to search for the folder's password. Open up the Keychain Access program (use Spotlight to find it), and then search for "Espionage" in the upper-right corner, making sure the correct keychain is selected in the upper-left corner. Look through the entries listed, and look where it says "Account" for each entry (in the upper-middle white box). As you scroll through the entries the "Account" field will change to show what folder that keychain item represents. If you find the keychain item for the folder you're looking for, double-click on it and then check the checkbox to "Show Password" (you'll be prompted for the keychain's master password).

If you can't find it, and you're using the separate keychain, note that Espionage keeps backups of the keychain here:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage/Backups
Note that on Lion the Library folder is hidden, so you'll need to open a new Finder window and choose "Go to Folder..." from the Go menu (Apple+Shift+G), then paste this path in and click Go:

~/Library/Application Support/Espionage/Backups
There you can open the backup keychain files (the files that start with "Espionage") and look through them in Keychain Access as described above. The filename will tell you the date they were backed up.

If you find the entry for that folder you should be able to get its password, and then it's just a matter of re-adding the folder back into Espionage, and providing that password.

Hope that helps!
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

bn86

Thank you so much for your fast and detailed response!

I was so close: I found the backup keychain file, opened it up and found it belonged to a separate Espionage keychain, not the login keychain. And it turns out I don't know that password to it! It's probably the same as the folder.

After being so close, I don't suppose there's anything left I can do? Does the login keychain (which I know the password for) have any power over this keychain to sync it's password or something?

Thanks again

greg

Quote from: "bn86"Thank you so much for your fast and detailed response!

I was so close: I found the backup keychain file, opened it up and found it belonged to a separate Espionage keychain, not the login keychain. And it turns out I don't know that password to it! It's probably the same as the folder.

The password to the separate keychain is your master password to Espionage.

Did you check in Espionage's advanced preferences like I mentioned above to see whether you're using the login or separate keychain?

If you can unlock Espionage, and you're using the Espionage keychain, that means you know the master password for the backed-up keychains.

That is the password that you enter after selecting the keychain item (as described above) and checking the "Show Password" checkbox.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!