Could not establish communication with EspionageHelper

Started by rblack117, June 03, 2011, 10:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rblack117

I tried to install the latest update to Esionage.app and now all I get is the following message.

Error:

Could not establish communication with EspionageHelper.

I can not use any of my folders and the application will not start.  I have even tried to download and install the Application again, which did not work.  

Any help you can give is appreciated.  

Thanks.

rshepherd

I am having this same problem. I can't remember when I updated the Espionage app. I am on version 2.8.11. This morning I updated my system software (OSX 10.5.8). I can see my folder but the files I encrypted in it are not visible. How can I resolve this?

Thanks
Rachel

greg

There may have been a problem with 2.8.11 on Leopard. We've posted a silent update that might fix it, so to re-install 2.8.11 (the silent fix) please try the following:

• Download Espionage from our website.
  • Open Finder
  • Choose the Go Menu > Go to Folder... in the menu bar
  • Type or paste "~/Library/Application Support/Espionage" (without the quotes)
  • Press return or click Go
  • Move "EspionageHelper.app" to the desktop, do not trash it.
  • Open the disk image you downloaded  in step 1 and replace your copy of Espionage with the newly downloaded one
  • Launch Espionage

If all goes well, you can then trash the EspionageHelper that you moved to your Desktop in step 6.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Greg,
Tao Effect Support
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

rshepherd

I reinstalled the program. Espionage now opens. But when I go to the folder which was previously encrypted I am not prompted for a password and the folder appears empty.

mike

Quote from: "rshepherd"I reinstalled the program. Espionage now opens. But when I go to the folder which was previously encrypted I am not prompted for a password and the folder appears empty.
Hi rshepherd,

Does this happen for all of your folders or just one folder? If you open Espionage, unlock, select the folder on the left side, uncheck the "Locked" on the right side, and then save changes, what happened then?

Can you reboot your Mac, sometime it'd help.

Please let me know how it turns out.
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!

rshepherd

I haven't had the program long and only encrypted the one folder. It was not listed when I opened Espionage. In fact, I am to open the folder without entering a password. So it seems the folder lost its encryption and the files are gone or hidden.

I have a backup of the contents, but without the latest revisions. I am sure it is possible I could have done something wrong, but this makes me nervous about continuing to use the program.

mike

When you open the folder, do you see three folders created by Espionage?

Open Espionage, unlock and then drag your encrypted folder into the app, it should then let you know that it was previously encrypted by Espionage. You should be able to open the folder correctly now.

If not, could you download our diagnostic tool here and submit it to us at the end.

I hope that helps, please let me know.

greg

Also, you say the folder isn't in Espionage, which is surely at least one indication of why the prompt doesn't appear when you double-click on it. Have you tried re-adding the folder back to Espionage? If all's well it should say next to "Choose Encryption" that it's "Already encrypted".

rshepherd

I am unable to add the folder into Espionage. I get a message that a folder within a folder is not supported. The folder is in a folder called EspionageMounts.

Here is the report generated with your app:
System info: Darwin rachel-shepherds-macbook-pro.local 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Espionage Version:      2.8.11
Espionage CM Version:   1.0.0
iSpy Version:         2.0.1

Attached to report: database
Error: Failed to copy: /Users/rachelshepherd/Library/Application Support/Espionage/ignorelist (file doesn't exist)
Error: Failed to copy: /Users/rachelshepherd/Library/Application Support/Espionage/associations (file doesn't exist)
Attached to report: com.taoeffect.Espionage.plist
Attached to report: com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist
Attached to report: ispyd.log
Error: Failed to copy: /var/log/kernel.log (file doesn't exist)
Attached to report: system.log
Filtered and wrote: system-filtered.log
Attached to report: processes.txt
LCC Scroll Enhancer Loader not detected.
LCC Scroll Enhancer not detected.

Checking folders...
----
We won't trigger the helper prompt

Symptoms
----
Files are missing from a previously encrypted folder; folder is no longer encrypted

Prepared by TEDT Version 1.5.4

mike

Hi rshepherd,

That doesn't sound right. The EspionageMounts is a folder created by Espionage  that is used to mount your encrypted folders. Your actual folders shouldn't be located in this folder. They should be located in your Home folder.

Did the diagnostic tool submit the whole report to us? If not, there may be a zipped file on your desktop. If you see a zipped file starting with TEDT, please email that file to us at mailto:support@taoeffect.com">support@taoeffect.com.

greg

rshepherd, in addition to sending the report, I was wondering if you could let us know what the path is to the folder (or possibly, alias) that you're dragging into Espionage?

One way you can do this is to open up the Terminal app (use Spotlight to find it), and drag whatever it is you're dragging onto the Terminal window. You should see the text of the path to that file/folder then, just copy all of that output and paste it here. This will make it easier for us to figure out what's going on and "reconnect" the folder with Espionage.