moving data to new mac with migration assistant

Started by socrates, September 14, 2010, 02:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socrates

Hi

I have espionage on existing macbook. Is it possible to transfer data to new macbook using migration assistant? Is there anything particular I need to do first, apart from lock all folders? Is it better to disable encrypted folders first?

Thanks

greg

That's a good question socrates!

Yes, locking all folders first is definitely recommended (though it should work if you don't).

The most important thing to keep in mind though is that after the transfer is complete, you must restart your new Mac at least once for iSpy to kick in and start working again (without iSpy, Espionage won't work).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

socrates

Hi
Thanks for responding.

I've moved everything over to new mac. Espionage doesn't appear in menu bar or load automatically at login. When I open it from applications, it says its looking for Espionage helper but then times out as it can't find it. I did restart the computer after migration and have just done the same again but no luck.

The encrypted folders themselves have 3 blank folders in them : This folder contains encrypted data etc....

Should i uninstall and then reinstall espionage or try something else?

greg

Try deleting these two items and running Espionage again:

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage/EspionageHelper
/Users/[your username]/Library/LaunchAgents/com.taoeffect.EspionageHelper.plist

If that doesn't work, trash this folder and re-run Espionage:

/Library/iSpy
And if that still doesn't work, download and run this diagnostic tool, because it should work after you've attempted that and we'd like to know why it's not.

socrates

All sorted now...

I was forced to change the home account name on the new mac when transferring data across, because I had already created an account with my usual account name/short name.

Espionage (and many other programs) clearly didn't like this- presumably because data wasn't found where the app was expecting it. I managed to change the account name of the newly migrated account afterwards and all seems to be working fine now

greg

Quote from: "socrates"All sorted now...

I was forced to change the home account name on the new mac when transferring data across, because I had already created an account with my usual account name/short name.

Espionage (and many other programs) clearly didn't like this- presumably because data wasn't found where the app was expecting it. I managed to change the account name of the newly migrated account afterwards and all seems to be working fine now

Ah, indeed that would cause the issue you described. Espionage stores the absolute paths to the folders, and if that changes it won't be able to find the folders and hence won't be able to detect when they are accessed. Usually when migration assistant is used, it's used on a new computer with no existing accounts, and thus everything is transferred without a problem, and the username is recreated (and the same as it was previously). Thanks for letting the forum know though what the problem was, this could be an issue others might run into.

(P.S. You could also use the "Locate Missing Folder..." menu item, from the File menu in Espionage, to point Espionage to the new locations of the folders)

psl

I'm having all the problems that Socrates had (not hemlock, but the EspionageHelper failing to run after I've just migrated it to a new system) and my directory structure is as before (i.e. same user name on old and new machines).

What is different is that the new system is running Snow Leopard and the old one runs Leopard.

When I first ran Espionage on the new machine it said there were parts that needed to be reinstalled and it popped up the installer, which ran successfully, (it said).  However, it was unable to find EspionageHelper.  So I deleted the two specified files in my /library and ran Espionage again.  It recreated those files, but it still failed to find the EHelper.  So I followed all the directions given to Socrates, all the way to doing rm -r /Library/iSpy and when I ran Espionage again I got the installer again, which completed successfully again, and then I got exactly the same result.

Unfortunately, my email files are encrypted and locked with Espionage, so I can't send you any email from that machine, although I could FTP something to you if you'd like me to run a diagnostic...

Help?

-Peter

psl

And the answer is (or appears to be) . . .

Don't forget to reboot (aka restart) after deleting the library files and re-executing Espionage with no success!

The earlier reboot didn't do it, but after deleting everything up to /Library/iSpy and re-running Espionage, a reboot seems to have the desired effect.

-=P=-

marty

Thanks, Peter, for both having success at straightening out whatever the initial migration issue was for you, as well as giving the forum readers another reminder: when in doubt (or you 'mess' with the system-level components of Espionage): reboot. It just feels so unnatural to reboot a Mac but for iSpy that's the only way to get things truly kickstarted.

If we can be of help, please let us know!
Tao Effect Support

follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!