iDrive as Cloud backup

Started by artisfun, April 09, 2011, 03:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artisfun

For a couple of months I've been backing up to the cloud using JungleDisk with no known problems.  JungleDisk is Whitelisted and selected the EspionageBackup folder (the location of Espionage's regular backups).  As a side note, when I look at the listing of files for Restores, EspionageMounts is listed but this folder was not selected for backups.  I'm guessing Espionage knows to include the folder since it is a hidden file, right?

Now I'm trying out another cloud backup company, iDrive.  Added iDriveforMac and iDriveDaemon to Whitelisted and selected the EspionageBackup folder.  

So far nothing has worked to get the EspionageBackup folder to be backed up by iDrive.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  According to the backup log info, iDrive apparently sees the EspionageBackup folder as being a part of the excluded list which is true for hidden files.  I did try removing the exclusion for hidden files but that did not help.  Other files on the same external drive will backup to iDrive.

Thanks for your time.

greg

Hey artisfun,

Quote from: "artisfun"Now I'm trying out another cloud backup company, iDrive.  Added iDriveforMac and iDriveDaemon to Whitelisted and selected the EspionageBackup folder.  

So far nothing has worked to get the EspionageBackup folder to be backed up by iDrive.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  According to the backup log info, iDrive apparently sees the EspionageBackup folder as being a part of the excluded list which is true for hidden files.  I did try removing the exclusion for hidden files but that did not help.  Other files on the same external drive will backup to iDrive.

I will do the best I can to help with the Espionage side of this question, I can't speak on behalf of iDrive.  :)

Currently, the basic idea, for any cloud backup service, is to have it backup the EspionageBackups folder. So, you tell Espionage where to store your backups, and then after you've run the backups once, you tell iDrive (or JungleDisk, etc.) to backup that folder (or a folder that contains it). There is nothing special about the EspionageBackups folder, it's a normal, visible folder where Espionage stores copies of the disk images for all of your encrypted folders. More info about that, is, of course, available in Espionage's backup documentation.

Hope that was helpful! If not, you may want to consider asking the iDrive folks for help, as to why their program is having trouble backing up a regular folder.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

artisfun

Working on a backup exercise at 2am is probably not the best time.   :lol:      
   I went back and changed the setting for Excluding hidden files/folders to Allow hidden files/folders.  Removed iDriveDaemon from Whitelisted.  And the backup of the EspionageBackups runs fine.   :D

marty

Quote from: "artisfun"Working on a backup exercise at 2am is probably not the best time.   :lol:      
   I went back and changed the setting for Excluding hidden files/folders to Allow hidden files/folders.  Removed iDriveDaemon from Whitelisted.  And the backup of the EspionageBackups runs fine.   :D

You know, 2AM is a choice time for some of us but yes -- backup strategy implementations do need your full and undivided attention. :)

I'm glad you got things working, and thanks for sharing the specifics!

--
Best regards,
Marty
Tao Effect Support

For news, follow @esponageapp!
http://twitter.com/espionageapp
Tao Effect Support

follow @espionageapp on twitter for news!