The Espionage Trial deleted my Mail

Started by vgsl, December 15, 2010, 08:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vgsl

Hi,

I downloaded the espionage 14 day trial and used it to set a password for mac mail. I actually really like the program and was planning on purchasing it when the trial was over. However, my trial ended today and when I opened mac mail ALL my messages were gone. The mail application is completely blank! No incoming messages, no sent messages, no drafts. ALL GONE. Then, I got a notification from espionage informing me that a mail folder titled "mail - saved" had been automatically sent to Trash.

Why would the espionage trial delete all my mail!? How do I get the messages back on the application?

Please help,

Thanks in advance.

greg

Hi vgsl,

Espionage plays extremely safely with your data, it never deletes anything unless you tell it to. Your Mail should be safe, we just need to figure out what the current state is and restore it back to the way it was. As far as what could have happened, I'm not sure as your description doesn't contain enough details. If I had to guess, it may have been that something related to your email ran while it was being restored and an inopportune moment. Either you ran Mail itself, or a syncing program ran, or something altogether different happened.

First though, it would help greatly if you downloaded and run this diagnostic tool as soon as possible, it will send us information about how Espionage is setup on your computer, and any relevant info from the system logs. Before telling it to send the info, please make sure to mention this thread in the comments so that we have context.

We'll get back to you after receiving it. If you can provide any additional information about what happened, and whether or not you use MobileMe (or any other syncing service), it would greatly help too.

Kind regards,

Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

vgsl

I ran the diagnostic tool and it has been sent. I don't use MobileMe. I use gmail. Thanks.

greg

Thanks, try restarting your computer, and then unlock the Mail folder from the Espionage menu (don't launch Mail). Look inside the Mail folder and let me know whether it's empty or contains the usual content (a bunch of files and folders, some of which contain the names of your email accounts). Actually, it might be more helpful if you could take a screenshot of what's inside, and upload it to the forum as a file attachment (click "Upload Attachment" below the reply box when replying).

If the folder is empty, let us know, and please instead upload a screenshot of what's inside of the Mail-saved folder that's inside the Trash (make sure not to empty the Trash).

If the Mail folder (the one in your Library folder, not the Mail-saved folder), has a bunch of files and folders in it, then try opening the Mail application.

vgsl

It seems everything is back to normal. Thanks so much for the quick response and for your help!

greg

Quote from: "vgsl"It seems everything is back to normal. Thanks so much for the quick response and for your help!

No problem, glad I could help. :)