Is the setup correct, backups included

Started by artisfun, December 17, 2010, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artisfun

I've started using Espionage and desire to know if all is setup correct, efficient.

mac osx 10.5.8
Espionage 2.8.7

Time Machine backups to external drive A
TM backups up macbook drive and external drive B
SuperDuper clones to external drive B

general folders in Espionage encrypted and password, blocked from TM, Espionage backups to external drive B, SuperDuper blacklisted.
general folders in Espionage are all on external drive B at this time.

No sure about the SuperDuper blacklisted setting since none of the current folders under Espionage are on the macbook drive.  When I add an application to Espionage, would the SuperDuper setting need to change to whitelisted?

Are there any special steps when I upgrade to 10.6?  What if an application is under Espionage?  What happens if I need to go back to 10.5.8 later?

Thanks.

greg

Hey artisfun, sorry for the late response!

Quote from: "artisfun"Time Machine backups to external drive A
TM backups up macbook drive and external drive B
SuperDuper clones to external drive B

Are you saying that TM backups your MacBook and Drive B to Drive A?

Perhaps trying this format might make things clearer:

Source -> Destination (Method)

For example:

MacBook -> Drive A (Time Machine)
MacBook -> Drive B (SuperDuper!)

QuoteNo sure about the SuperDuper blacklisted setting since none of the current folders under Espionage are on the macbook drive.  When I add an application to Espionage, would the SuperDuper setting need to change to whitelisted?

Espionage's documentation goes over backups, and the ignore list, using SuperDuper as an example. Backup programs (like SuperDuper!) should usually be whitelisted.

QuoteAre there any special steps when I upgrade to 10.6?  What if an application is under Espionage?

Generally no, there should be no problems (unless you're running an old version of Espionage, which it looks like you're not). The general rule of thumb is to make sure that Espionage is updated prior to updating the OS.

QuoteWhat happens if I need to go back to 10.5.8 later?

There shouldn't be a problem (at least with the current version of Espionage).
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

artisfun

Hi Greg,

In response to the backup setup....

MacBook  => external drive A  (Time Machine)
external drive B (incl Espionage Backups, Excl Espionage encryped/password files) => external drive A (Time Machine)
Espionage encrypted/password folders on external drive B => external drive B (Espionage backup)
MacBook => external drive B (SuperDuper)

As I'm typing, wondering if the Espionage backups should be on the MacBook to complete separation.
Changed SuperDuper to whitelisted.

Thanks for your time and effort supporting this forum.
artisfun

greg

Hey artisfun, hope your holiday has been going well, mine is finally slowing down enough to allow me a chance to respond (sorry—again!).

Quote from: "artisfun"MacBook  => external drive A  (Time Machine)
external drive B (incl Espionage Backups, Excl Espionage encryped/password files) => external drive A (Time Machine)
Espionage encrypted/password folders on external drive B => external drive B (Espionage backup)
MacBook => external drive B (SuperDuper)

That sounds good, and I can see why you wanted it double-checked, it's a tad confusing.  :)

QuoteAs I'm typing, wondering if the Espionage backups should be on the MacBook to complete separation.

Seems like the way you have it setup now is good.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!