Make Espionage play nice with Evernote

Started by can_surmeli, December 05, 2010, 12:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

can_surmeli

Hi all.

I'm using http://www.evernote.com to store my notes.

I know that Evernote has the ability to encrypt notes but that's for note to note basis. I can't just simply encrypt all of the Evernote database. For that I'd like to use Espionage like I use with any other software on my Mac. But I know that I will definitely encounter with problems since Evernote stores it's data in the cloud.

I've seen an article on the Tao Effect web site which explains how to make Dropbox(which also stores it's data in the cloud) play nice with Espionage. I know that Dropbox and Evernote are not the same. Or the thing I'm trying to do with Evernote is not the same as explained in the Tao Effect article but is there some kind of way for Evernote to play nice with Espionage too?

greg

Hey there, yes, I've actually been meaning to write up a detailed blog post on how to do this.

You'll find my notes on how to do this here:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/221198/
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

can_surmeli

Thanks for that Greg. Really appreciate it. :D:D:D

I'm almost done. I'm saying almost because I was able to encrypt Evernote thanks to you. I've done everything you've written. It's working now but the problem is that when I quit Evernote, Espionage couldn't encrypt Evernote back because of EvernoteHelper is still running in the background.

Now. If I go to Activity Monitor and quit EvernoteHelper then Espionage is able to encrypt Evernote again right away. But it's not very practical. I would like it to work just automatic.

Is there a way that I can make that little EvernoteHelper quit with Evernote as well?

P.S. Also could you PLEASE add an application template for Evernote to make things easier.

greg

Quote from: "can_surmeli"Is there a way that I can make that little EvernoteHelper quit with Evernote as well?

Unfortunately, the only way do that is to uncheck the box to show the elephant in the menu (from Evernote's preferences). Other than that, either the Evernote folk will have to add a preference to quit the helper when you quit Evernote, or additional functionality will have to be built-in to Espionage.

QuoteP.S. Also could you PLEASE add an application template for Evernote to make things easier.

At some point we will, but right now, because of the EvernoteHelper issue, this is not as easy to do.

greg

I should add though, that even though there is this issue with the EvernoteHelper, it's still better to have your Evernote files encrypted than not. I would recommend disabling for now the "Lock On Quit" checkbox for Evernote (edit the app. associations for the folder), and just leave the folder unlocked while you're logged in (locking it manually if necessary after quitting the EvernoteHelper from the menu). The data will still be encrypted, and you can enable the screensaver with the screensaver password (or logout) if you walk away from the computer or put it to sleep (this can be done in the Security System Preferences).

greg

Looks like we've been able to setup Espionage 2.8.8 with Evernote. :)

can_surmeli

Thanks man.