Deleted files to re-enable Bluetooth, lost Espionage

Started by mark, December 03, 2010, 04:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark

help please!!
I installed Espionage a month or so ago onto my Macbook..very pleased with it.
BUT about the same time I lost Bluetooth capability, so my wireless mice stopped working. It was not possible to switch Bluetooth to 'on' in Bluetooth preferences panel.  Have had to phone Applecare to ask them for help.  They asked me to delete several files: Startupitems, Launchdaemons and Launchagents.  This had the desired result of re-enabling bluetooth so my mouse works.  As i was deleting them I noticed that they mostly had HP files in them but I recall briefly seeing at least one with 'tao' in it.
But - horror result - I now find I cannot decrypt my espionage encrypted folders, just get messages saying these are encrypted and not to mess with them.
What should i do??
Many thanks to anyone who can help.  I cannot find a way of contacting Tao directly, so am hoping this may also be seen by them
Mark
England

greg

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you may have messed up Espionage's installation, so try resetting it.

Kind regards,
Greg, Tao Effect
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

mark

Greg,
Thanks, I've now done that.  I have put back the same custom keychain password as I used before. The screen then gives me a box and asks me to drag files to the square to encrypt..but my problem is the opposite..I want to decrypt my previously encrypted folders. These do not any longer show that they are locked.  When I click on them, instead of the request to unlock it, each folder only show three more folders with titles saying 'this folder contains encrypted data', 'It is controlled by espionage' and 'Do not modify it in this state'.
What do I do now?  My vital files are inside!
Thanks, mark

greg

Mark,

Quote from: "mark"Greg,
Thanks, I've now done that.  I have put back the same custom keychain password as I used before. The screen then gives me a box and asks me to drag files to the square to encrypt..but my problem is the opposite..I want to decrypt my previously encrypted folders.

As the instructions in the link I gave you mention, to use any of your previously encrypted folders Espionage needs to be made aware of them, and to do this, they need to be added back into it. Drag the folder into Espionage (the one that contains the 3 empty warning folders). You'll need to know the password that was used to originally encrypt them. Once they're back in Espionage you can unlock them, or restore them completely by removing them from Espionage.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

mark

Greg,
Many thanks, this has worked fine.  I am hugely relieved.  Thanks for your quick and substantive guidance.
Mark