Does not encrypt new folders

Started by Olturot, November 08, 2010, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olturot

I have been using Espionage for some months now and have been happy with it.  I had to deactivate the folders that I was using so I had no folders encrypted. When I tried to redo (encrypt) the folders again, I have been unable to do so. I tried using the template for encrypting Mail and any of the others like Calendar or Address book.  When I press Next, it does nothing.  I also tried dragging folders into the espionage box, but some would not even register.  I Tried using the +folder button and likewise it would not do anything.  Sometimes I was able to drag a folder into the espionage box and it immediately showed up in the right panel, but would not try to encrypt at all.  I rebooted the computer to no avail.  I uninstalled espionage and reinstalled but it did not change. I disabled VirusBarrier, but no change.  Obviously I am looking for some direction and help.
Chuck

greg

Hi Chuck,

Try the following and let us know if it helps:

• Lock all folders if any are open
  • Download this zip file.
  • Move your current copy of Espionage to the Trash
  • Move Espionage's helper to your Desktop (you can't trash it yet because it's running). It is located here:
    /Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Espionage/EspionageHelper
  • Double-click on the downloaded zip file and move the extracted copy of Espionage into your Applications folder

Now run Espionage and try encrypting the folders again. If it still doesn't work, then at that point please download and run this diagnostic tool, making sure to reference this thread in the comments of it.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

greg

Thanks Chuck, we got your report.

So, from the looks of it, there's an issue in Espionage if certain applications are missing from your system that are usually expected on the system and would normally be associated with the folders being encrypted.

On your system it seems like iPhoto, iChat, and iSync are missing. We'll fix this for the next update, but in the meantime see if you can re-install those apps. Once you do it should work just fine, and if it doesn't let us know!
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

Olturot

Gregg, thanks for your reply.  I reinstalled iphoto, ichat and isync via the Mac OSX disk.  Espionage now encrypts folders OK. I was only trying to save space on the computer to remove apps that I did not use.  However, now I have another issue that I did not have before.  I looked through the threads but could not find anything like it, so I will begin a new thread with another title. "Application Associates Don't Open"  
Thanks, talk to you in the next thread.