Can't open file on new computer

Started by Teapot6761, August 03, 2013, 07:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teapot6761

I had an old iMac that I was running Espionage on, as well as an external hard drive.  I've been backing up my encrypted files since I knew that my computer's days were numbered.  Last night it bit the dust and I have a new iMac, OS 10.8.3.  I was able to run my external hard drive with it and open everything that was backed up on it EXCEPT the files I had encryped in Espionage.   It will show up as a little white 'page' icon with a arrow on it, but if I click it, it tells me it can't be opened because the original can't be found.  I'm assuming it's because it's encrypted because all the other things will open.  I'm also only running the free trial on this new computer so far until I get used to things.  Any ideas on how I can open that file?

greg

Espionage 2 worked in a bit of a more complicated way than Espionage 3. Read this to get a better understanding before proceeding.

That little white file is likely the symbolic link (aka an "alias"), which is the state the folder is in when it's unlocked.

If you're running the latest version of Espionage 2 (make sure you are), then first try opening it and dragging that alias onto it. If the invisible disk image was also backed up and is in the same folder as the alias then Espionage should prompt you to enter the password for that folder, and upon entering it everything should be re-setup, and Espionage will once again have control of the folder.

Other useful documents:

Especially read the 2nd link on restoring from Time Machine, as it covers the intricacies in a bit more detail, even if you're not dealing with a Time Machine backup.
Follow @espionageapp@twitter.com or @espionage@mstdn.io for news and updates!

Teapot6761

Thank you -- I DID get most things moved over, but I'm having one more problem.  There's one more important file I need....if you'll humor me I'll give the whole pathway here starting with my external hard drive:

HD > backups.backupdb
(myname) iMac

that opens up a whole bunch of dated folders so I went to the latest one
Macintosh HD
Espionage Backups
Folder with my name
3 numbered folders in which one contains the calendar file I need
Calendars
NOW - here's my problem.  In the calendar folder there are three separate folders that say
1.  this folder contains encrpyted data
2.  it is controlled by Espionage
3.  Do not modify it in this state

I've read the example of how to restore but I'm not getting it.  It says
"Let's say our email got corrupted and we wanted to restore Apple's Mail folders ("Mail" and "Mail Downloads"). We need to replace these folders with the backed up versions.

In Espionage, use the Enabled checkbox to disable both the "Mail" and "Mail Downloads" folders.
    Look inside the numbered folders inside of the EspionageBackups folder until you find the "Mail" and "Mail Downloads" folders. (Remember, they may appear to be empty).
    Drag both folders into the Library folder, which contains the corrupt "Mail" and "Mail Downloads" folders, to replace them.
    Back in Espionage, enable both folders using the Enabled checkbox."

I tried dragging the calendar file into the Library folder (assuming it means the main library folder on my HD?) but it says the Library can't be modified.  Am I in the wrong library?  If you know any way to open or restore these 3 folders, I would VERY much appreciate it, and please spell it out step by step as if I were a 3 year old --- I'm dealing with something unfamiliar AND a new computer  ;D  Thank you!!!

zsolt

Hello,

The folders at location backups.backupdb are the backups of the TimeMachine
You should not use folders directly from there, instead you should restore them to some location into your home folder.
So first of all, the folder you are referring to, i.e. the calendar folder which then contains the 3 folders named "do not modify this....", simply copy into your document folder, for example, and once copied, drag the folder over open Espionage window.
Espionage will recognize that it was encrypted and prompt you for password to add it back to espionage, once you entered the password the folder will be added and you can use it as before.

Now if this is the calendar folder of iCal, then you have to copy it into exact location where iCal expects it to be. You can read out the path from the Location field for that folder in the Espionage main window, or if it is indeed iCal, or Apple's Calendar, then it is your
homefolder/Library/
If you are running Mountain Lion then the Library folder inside your home folder is hidden.
To access it, hold down the option/alt key and click on Go menu in Finder, the Library should appear as one of the locations you can switch to, click on it and the Library folder should open in Finder. If there is already a Calendar folder, this one is probably empty, so just make sure Calendar is not running, rename it to some other name, and then copy over the Calendar you mentioned in your question.

Let me know if it still does not work.

Rgds
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support

Teapot6761

Thank you SO much!  I think I've at least been able to unlock it to the point where it gives me the calendar entries for each day as a separate document.  It's not in the usual iCalendar format, but the info itself is there, and that's what I really need. 

Thank you again for taking the time to answer and your patience in spelling it out so easily!  I really appreciate it! :D

zsolt

Hello, I'm glad we made it through.
If you run into any further problems or questions, just let me know.
Enjoy using Espionage
Zsolt
Follow @espionageapp on twitter for news! | For general Mac support, please visit Mac Me Support